Can someone explain iCloud to me?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jason2811, Aug 28, 2012.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone 4S and a new MacBook Air and I truthfully don't understand iCloud. I have hundreds of .doc and .pdf files on my laptop, how would I go about accessing these on my iPhone through iCloud? Same with photos I have stored on my laptop. Or is that not what iCloud is for-- am I missing something? I was under the impression that the point of iCloud was to link all your Apple devices.

2. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just checked that out. I'm more interested in how I would access all of my .doc and .pdf files that are on my laptop from my iPhone using iCloud.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You can't. For that you should use Dropbox

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree. Dropbox is an excellent tool for selectively sharing documents between devices.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

agreed. dropbox for general files/documents. I only use iCloud for iTunes Match. It probably makes sense for some users for calendar/address book/note synchronization. It doesn't seem to be a good fit for general files, however.

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Well, they're working on it.

In Mountain Lion, "Documents in the Cloud" is more feature complete. For example, you can upload .Doc, .PDF, etc files that will open in Preview from iCloud.

The biggest problem for me is you can't access those same files via iOS since Preview.app doesn't exist. One would think Apple would allow apps like Good Reader to access those type of files, and that might be coming in iOS 6. I'm not for sure.