Can someone explain something about Cydia and SSHS Blobs

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Sherifftruman, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

So, I jailbroke my iPhone 4 and Cydia is making my life easier. Right away, it had the message that it had 4.01 SHSH on file, which I expeceted since I was on 4.01. Now the message says 4.01 and 4.02, but I have not installed 4.02 of course. I did not start Jailbreaking until pretty late in the life of my iPhone 3G so I don't think I had any software updates while Jailbroken.

So, I'm just trying to understand, I guess Cydia is able to get the 4.02 SHSH blobs from the Apple server even though it is not installed on the device? Just like you can use other programs to save your SHSH even if you are not even jailbroken yet. I guess it just queries an Apple server somewhere and creates the blob with the Software and phone indentifier info?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Cydia is helping you out. Since they have your ECID on file, they send it to Apple for each new version of iOS and get new blobs for you. It doesn't alway work for everyone as the queue can be long, so I wouldn't solely rely on it.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

4. nobias macrumors regular

Correct. Cydia requests and stores shsh for all frimwares currently being signed. To do this is uses the device ecid and does not actually the particular firmware to be installed on the phone.

With 4.0.2 apple continued to sign 4.0.1 for almost a week after it's release. Quite beneficial to jailreakers. During that window, despite most iphones in stores shipping with 4.0.2 (which patched the jailbreakme exploit), people who knew what they were doing were able to option+restore to 4.0.1, jailbreak, and save blobs.

A rare situation for apple. Usually they stop signing old/"flawed" firmware within 24 hours of releasing the patched one.
    On a side note, saving blobs for 4.0.2 is useless. There will never be a jailbreak released for this firmware.

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Someday we will stop getting multiple threads on this topic every time a new version comes out. Sigh.

The firmware version you have on your phone is entirely irrelevant to the process of storing your SHSH, since the process does not involve your phone at all. Saurik's server uses your ECID to request the SHSH directly from Apple's server, and it stores the ECID so that it can automatically request each new version. This is what is meant by being "on file."

There may be very good reasons for people to restore or downgrade to 4.0.2, whether there is a jailbreak or not. You never know what might inadvertently be broken by a future release, or what other problems might arise. Also, never is a very long time.

6. Sherifftruman thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, perhaps if someone suggested a sticky about it to the mods, that might change. Kind of a hard topic to search on and get good responses. Plus I went back 6 or 7 pages and have read this forum daily for a couple of months and somehow missed all the threads talking about this specific question. But thanks for the self appointed moderation.

7. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Funny I know I've explained it at least once a day for the past 3 days and countless times prior. People use stickies about as much as they use search.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, there's at least one thread a day like this one.

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Not only that, but if we stickied every topic people duplicate-post about we'd have pages of stickies to wade through before we ever got to anything interesting.

10. Sherifftruman thread starter macrumors 6502

Please feel free to point out some of the one thread per day on this topic. Like I said, I searched, browsed back 6 or 7 pages, looking at everythread that had somethign to do with SHSH or looked remotely like it did and found nothing.

As far as multiple stickies, no need since there is already a stickied thread which purports to tell all about all the phones and software revs and what can and can't be done, that even talks about jailbreaking and Cydia, which fails to mention this at all. Just have the OP add it to that.

To those that posted without being d-bags, thanks.

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This kind of post is not a good idea. Just sayin’. You’ll need some of our help, especially thelatinist’s, I’m sure.

Feel free to edit your posts.

13. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I was going to start a brand new post to ask this question, but then I thought hey I don't want to piss thelatinist off! lol just jokin buddy, you're the best!

Here's a quick question for you...what exactly does ECID and SHSH stand for?

Thanks in advance.

14. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

ECID

Signature Hash

15. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Thanks a lot dhlizard...that was an amazing link you provided! :D