Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
I have no clue what any of it means! Can someone explain to me what on earth is going on in that commercial, and.. yeah.. just... what is it? What does it have to do with mac?

And also, where can I get it in good quality?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm guessing your uncle could ask Steve to explain it to you. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind, the iPod was added in a few years ago and wasn't in the original (if the version you've seen has her wearing one).

Basically, it was a rebellion against the stodgy IBM computers and limited creativity of the day.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Thanks.. but... who is that guy on the big screen? Who is the woman who throws the thing at it. Who are all the people? And why are they turned to stone? And what is the meaning of what the computer is saying?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The people are mindless drones who do/buy whatever they are told to. They do not think for themselves. The man on the screen is their leader or instructor or dictator. As in the book "1984", thinking for yourself is discouraged.

Then along comes the girl (news of Macintosh), stops the dictator's message, and wakes everyone up.

Once Apple introduces its new computer, people will be able to be individual again!

I guess it worked. People no longer buy PCs from IBM!

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Doctor Q said:
The people are mindless drones who do/buy whatever they are told to. They do not think for themselves. The man on the screen is their leader or instructor or dictator. As in the book "1984", thinking for yourself is discouraged.

Then along comes the girl (news of Macintosh), stops the dictator's message, and wakes everyone up.

Once Apple introduces its new computer, people will be able to be individual again!

Thanks! That helped alot. Now where do I find it in good quality?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Doctor Q said:

I guess it worked. People no longer buy PCs from IBM!
And, ironically, now queue for hours for the opening of a new Apple Store, wearing Apple branded clothing, all carrying audio players with identical white headphones, and hoping to get a glimpse of Big Bro... I mean Steve.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
CanadaRAM said:
And, ironically, now queue for hours for the opening of a new Apple Store, wearing Apple branded clothing, all carrying audio players with identical white headphones, and hoping to get a glimpse of Big Bro... I mean Steve.

Wow. You have a point!

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
This thread attracted me because apparently there can be more posts here than the times it has been viewed.
Does this happen often or is this just a strange quirk :confused:

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 82

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
CanadaRAM has cast doubt on our blind following of our esteemed Macleader. CanadaRAM must be eliminated. CanadaRAM must be eliminated. CanadaRAM must be eliminated...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
neocell said:
This thread attracted me because apparently there can be more posts here than the times it has been viewed.
Just a guess, but perhaps Views don't get counted when a given member views the page repeatedly (such as right after posting).

If that's correct, a thread where two people take turns posting while nobody else pays attention might have lots of posts but only count as two views.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
Doctor Q said:
Just a guess, but perhaps Views don't get counted when a given member views the page repeatedly (such as right after posting).

If that's correct, a thread where two people take turns posting while nobody else pays attention might have lots of posts but only count as two views.
Yeah I was thinking that, but I count 6 different viewers before my post, so 7 including me though the pic shows only 4 views. Bizarro land.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
neocell said:
IIRC, I believe I saw in another thread a while back that vBulletin updates view counts infrequently, whereas post count updates are essentially immediate... so there's lag.

That, or people are posting without reading the thread... seems like that happens often around here. ;)

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Doctor Q said:
CanadaRAM has cast doubt on our blind following of our esteemed Macleader. CanadaRAM must be eliminated. CanadaRAM must be eliminated. CanadaRAM must be eliminated...

Ah, I just spent a night reading a lot about hierarchy of structure and blahblah, and that seemed funny to me. Not sure whether or not it was the subject matter, or just the fact that my brain is shot. Heeeeeehehehehee.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
jsw said:
...That, or people are posting without reading the thread... seems like that happens often around here. ;)

How does one do that? I mean don't you have to open the thread to post in it? You may not choose to actually "read" the thread before you post, but isn't opening the thread counted as viewing it by V bulletin?

I guess it must be like what you said at first.

Oh well, back to my own personal Bizarroland.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
neocell said:
How does one do that? I mean don't you have to open the thread to post in it?
Sorry - that was just my too-dry attempt at humor. You can't actually post without reading the thread, barring some back-stage magic.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
jsw said:
Sorry - that was just my too-dry attempt at humor. You can't actually post without reading the thread, barring some back-stage magic.

No apologies needed.
I should be the one apologizing.
Not the sharpest knife in the drawer right now.
Damn Hoegaarden

Cheers for the enlightenment :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.