Can someone explain the HP ePrinters and the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I know there are other tricks and apps you can use now to get a printout from your iPad.

But I was under the impression that the best and easiest current method was if you had one of the new HP ePrinters.

But I'm confused.

What I thought was that the iPad was beaming/transmitting the print function direct from the iPad to the printer, either view Wireless or perhaps Bluetooth.

But either way, you are in an app, and you select print and it prints out on the printer. Job done.

However, and this is my confusion.

I have just watched a HP advert for the ePrinters and they are saying it's all done via eMail.

You create your document/picture etc, and then you have to email the file to a new special email address which I guess gets beamed across the internet and then back to your printer.

Is this true?

You can't actually be in an app and select PRINT and it prints. You have to email, or attach files to emails and email things which then find their way to the printer?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

If you have an AirPrint compatible printer, the job is sent to the printer directly via WiFi.

3. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Ah great.

That's the functionality I want.

Is there a list of printers that support AirPrint?

4. Muzz112 macrumors member

At the moment AirPrint only supports very few HP wireless printers....I have a HP wireless printer but it doesnt work with it...

I've been using Printopia to print with my iPad http://www.ecamm.com/mac/printopia/

Give it a go with the 7 day trial....

5. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I want to second Printopia, works great, adds PDF & Dropbox printing, and if apple finally releases official support for shared printers, it doesn't mess with system files, which will make a very easy uninstall.

A bargin for $10, I just used it a day and purchased it. :D

6. Cartaphilus macrumors 6502a

I've also been considering whether the game is worth the candle. I found this on the HP website and bookmarked it to look at more later. I'll be interested in what you decide:

Currently these are the printer models that support ePrint:

HP Officejet Pro 8500A e-All-in-One Printer series - A910 for customers worldwide
    HP Officejet 7500 Wide Format All-in-One Printer Series- E910 for customers worldwide
    HP Officejet 6500A e-All-in-One Printer - E710
    HP Photosmart D110 series for North America customers
    HP Photosmart B110 series for Asia and Europe customers
    HP Photosmart B210 series for customers worldwide
    HP Photosmart Premium C310 series for customers worldwide
    HP Photosmart C410 series for customers worldwide
    HP Photosmart Ink Advantage K510 series for Asia and Europe customers
    HP Photosmart eStation e-All-in-One Printer C510 series for North America and Europe customers
    HP Envy eAll-in-One Printer D410 series for customers world wide
    HP will announce additional printers that support ePrint in the coming months.
    New ePrint-enabled printers will be added to this post in the future!

7. big samm macrumors 65816

ok AirPrint compatible means if my MacBook is off I could Still print directly to the printer via wifi? and not AirPrint compatible printers will still work but would have to involve my MacBook ?

8. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

So these are "ePrint" printers that can accept a print function emailed to them (which is handy)

But I also 100% want one that is "AirPrint" compatible. So that I can from my iPad or an iMac or PC print direct over wireless to the printer.

And of course, with my iPad print direct to it without any computer being turned on. Only the printer itself.

9. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

10. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I use the HP Envy works great and setup is easy.

11. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Thanks.

The problem is, all of these printers are expensive :(

What I'd really love is one of the cheap low end Laser printers from Samsung that have this ability added.

Perhaps next year we will start seeing this more in lower priced models?

12. big samm macrumors 65816

Can someone answer my previous question? AirPrint compatible printers (hp's) can print from the iPad or iPhone without the computer being on?

13. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

Yes, I use the iPad as my only Mac, it works flawless;)
    It's only a matter of time if you need a cheaper printer, hang in there.
    You don't need a PC or Mac on.

14. hashholly macrumors 6502

Here's a cheap one i purchased

HP D110 - $99 at Office Depot