Can someone explain the Micro-Sim to me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SRLMJ23, Jun 19, 2010.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

What is the point of it other than it's smaller size?? Is there any real working benefit?:apple:

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It lets Apple brag about something stupid like having the smallest SIM card.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Smaller size means more room for other electronics inside, like bigger battery. Otherwise a SIM is a SIM.

4. fuzion macrumors 6502

Just a blurb from wikipedia:

The specification that standardized the micro-SIM form factor continues to evolve. Some features introduced recently include:
    a micro-SIM form factor
    allow for multiple simultaneous applications accessing the card through logical channels;
    introduce mutual authentication as a way to eliminate carrier spoofing by allowing the SIM card to authenticate the cell tower to which it is connecting;
    add a new PIN protection with hierarchical PIN management with a universal PIN, an application PIN and a local PIN; and
    expand the phonebook storage of the SIM card with entries for email, second name, and groups.[1]

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I've heard that the electronics and housing for the Micro-SIM in the iPhone are the same size as a regular SIM's, meaning the smaller size actually doesn't help.

6. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Why would the housing be the same if the holder needs to be smaller?

7. cowsrus macrumors 6502

its the first step to apple going away from AT&T and their GSM big sims and making.....Apple's own cellular network

cue conspiracy theorists back-up........................now

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The holder may be smaller, but all the electronics and parts that work in conjunction with it are the same. I'm just saying what I've heard. I never verified. If someone else has a way to check it out, I'd be interested in proven wrong.

9. elephunkman macrumors 65816

I'm not saying I'm correct either. I'm just assuming, theoretically. But, we will know when the teardowns begin.

10. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I agree, that doesn't make sense

11. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

You've heard wrong, then. Well. Technically the electronics are the same size, as the contact area has not changed, but the physical housing inside the case is most certainly smaller, shorter.

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Alright. I would just like a little verification that it actually saves space inside the iPhone. That's all.

14. shadrap macrumors 6502

Would the micro sim work in a normal sim slot? I often switch to an old phone to protect my iPhone.

15. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Yes, just need a sim caddy to fit one in.

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No/yes. It won't fit, but the electronics are all the same. If you can find some kind of adapter case for the Micro-SIM to make it the same size as a regular SIM it will fit.

17. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

During the keynote, or indeed, looking at gizmodos tear apart photos, it's clear that there is absolutely no spare room inside the phone, so ergo, if the sim slot was bigger, something would have to give somewhere, and that would be the battery, by being smaller.

Remember, the phone is notably thinner this time, yet has a bigger physical battery than before.

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

First question you have to ask yourself is, "Who gives a crap if it saves space or allows for a bigger battery". Who's crackin the thing open and putting in what they want in there just to revolt?

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

:confused:
    That means nothing about the SIM card being smaller. Are you suggesting Apple saved all that space just from the smaller SIM card?

20. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

No, but it is a factor. If the sim were not smaller they'd most likely not have been able to put a bigger battery in, though it's hard to judge just how things would be different, due to the sim slot being on the side not the top now, as the effective extra space it would give the battery to sit in by being shorter is bigger on the side than it would be at the top

I wouldn't be surprised to see everyone else following during the next year, once it's been established as 'usual', every MM inside a phone can be precious design wise.

21. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

Why would anyone want a sim to be bigger than it needs to be? It's just wasted space for plastic.

I don't think people will bother with sim cards in the future. You will be able to choose which phone has which number by software using username/password combo. They used to store contacts etc before phones had their own memory. Now they have little use at all.

22. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

They are just following the standards. Why not implement them if everyone is going to switch eventually?

Also for the time being, it will deter unlockers. What's the point in unlocking the phone if you can't even put your SIM in it?

23. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Nah, considering can just cut up a sim, and that apple are selling more unlocked phones than ever direct, everywhere but states so far, I very much doubt unlockability has anything to do with it at all.

24. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Take a look at the keynote from SJ. He puts up a slide showing the inside of the phone and makes a little side note about going with the micro-sim to save space.

that aside. its common sense. If the sim is smaller, and the holder is smaller, and the housing in the phone is smaller, it has to save space. it's physics, an object that is made smaller can not take up the same physical space as before. what more proof do you need?