Can someone explain the SLI feature in MBP to me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by definitive, Oct 14, 2008.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

It says 9400M + 9600M... What does that supposed to mean? Are they using 9400M and 9600M chips together? Because I didn't see an option to pick one or the other.

2. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

They come with both. the 9400m is included in the chipset, the 9600m is an addition (required) that allows you to use more horsepower if you require it

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

"And thanks to a new graphics architecture, it’s easy to switch between these two processors." So it does not use both at the same time...:cool:

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

As everyone else said, it only switches. You cannot have a discreet card such as the 9600m offload pretty much anything graphically intensive to an intergrated solution. That would be like telling a five year old to help work the gas while you try and work the GPS and steer.

6. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

That's disgusting.

Quake? CoD? Those games are 5+ years old.

7. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Anyone else see that it requires a logout to switch between the two? Poo

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I don't see that anywhere... I'm wondering about how it switches between the two also.

9. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

OS X may or may not be able to currently support it but Hybrid SLI is more than just switching between one or the other. Yes it does switch back to the 9400M when doing normal everyday tasks in order to conserve power but the technology also has the ability to run both graphics cores together at the same time for increased performance.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/hybridsli_notebook.html

Somebody said earlier that the tech notes on nVidia's website said it was a Vista SP1 only feature but if nVidia is going to be the one providing chips to Apple I kinda doubt it will stay that way even though the feature may not be fully supported until Snow Leopard.

10. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

11. RyanF2009 macrumors member

CoD4 isn't even a year old (for PC), and hasn't even been released for the Mac yet. Enemy Territory: Quake Wars was just released in March. Sequels, my man, sequels.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You either use one or the other; you have to log out and back in to do it.

Also, Hybrid-SLI requires the integrated and dedicated GPU to be the same. So if the integrated was a 9400M, the dedicated GPU would need to be to a 9400M as well.