Can someone explain this?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thejadedmonkey, Sep 23, 2008.

1. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Check out the highlighted line, and can someone explain that to me. I mean, I only have 120 gigs of hard drive space total!

Attached Files:

2. Musicmasta macrumors member

Musicmasta

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I always knew Java was a resource hog. 16 million terabytes of VM, that's about right.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Well, it is virtual memory, which means it never really has to exist.

5. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

On your original post you mentioned only having 120Gb hard drive space, so don't confuse that with RAM memory usage which Activity Monitor is showing-- even though in this case it is a bizarre error.

Have you checked it again after a restart? If it stays the same I would sure suspect a corrupted Java file!

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Well that's it. Throw in the bloat towel Microsoft, you bloat rookie. Java on OS X has you beat. 16.7 million terabytes. Now that's bloat! :D

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Looks like a bug to me. Java, or any other process, will never consume that much virtual memory, unless it is spawning threads in an endless loop. If it's doing that, the cause is a bug in the application.

9. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Uh oh... looks like someone forgot to carry the one!!! :p

That number is 2^24 TB. Funny it's a straight power of 2, so looks like a straightforward coding error. Hopefully it's an error in reporting the memory size, rather than an error in allocating it! Otherwise it might kinda drag your system performance down a bit!

10. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

I did something like that in my CS class with java. I had made an off by one error in my while loop:rolleyes:, then when I set the program going, I went to the bathroom and when i came back to find an infinite loop going and my temps up to 92 degrees!:eek:

11. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Curious to why your scroll bar looks different. Yours looks like the ones in iTunes.

12. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

it is a pretty simple customization... A quick Google search will give you instructions.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I was just reading about how 64 bit OS's allow for something similar to that number as a theoretical limit for something. The article got very technical,so much that I had gotten lost in it. Aparrantly i need to read up on my OS's technical capabilities and finally get a firm grasp on 32 vs 64 bit.

Im not sure if this has anything to do with what youve posted but it rang a bell so I decided to chime in. Srry if im way off base (which looking at that im sure i am :eek:)