Can someone explain to me how Apple is going to handle this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stewart715, Jan 11, 2011.

1. stewart715 macrumors 6502

Take a look at the image below:

[​IMG]

The iPhone 4 bumper will not fit the new device - the silent button is moved. Are they going to have to have themselves and alllll of their 3rd party manufactures produce separate GSM cases and CDMA cases just for this teeny little button?

Seriously? Poor planning, I think.

Link to iPhone bumper images: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC668ZM/A

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Most likely, yes. At least for this go round. I think the next AT&T phones will have the same updated steel band on that one so all the cases people bought will no longer work and we'll all have to go out any buy new ones YAY!!!!

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Obviously, case manufacturers will have to adjust and sell Verizon only cases.

4. stewart715 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, interesting point...

I just want to buy my iPhone case before it gets sold out again but now I'm not going to...

I can't see two full walls of iPhone cases -- one for CDMA one for GSM. Totally not Apple-like.

5. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

the funny thing is, Steve Jobs used "people already had cases from their 3G when switching to the 3GS" as an excuse for less perceived dropped calls on the 3GS.
    with the likely redesign of the iPhone 5 antenna to unify the design once again, he can re-use this excuse! ;)

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You've clearly never seen a new Apple mobile product released, pretty much all new iPod/iPhones need to have new accessories purchased for them. As someone who never uses a case or really any accessories I'm not that bummed. Also, considering the way the chipsets and space inside the phone work there's not a lot they could do. I'm also sure alllllll of the 3rd party case makers aren't going to be too pissed about having millions of more potential customers.

7. jman240 macrumors 6502a

With everything else being about the same why not just make the hole for the mute switch longer and more rectangular so that it works with either hardware iteration.

With most current cases you could just use a razor blade and voila.

8. Gromet macrumors regular

Gromet

WAIT,

The new ViPhone is the TOP phone. If you notice the Silence button os moved closer to the Vol + & - button. Most cases have this are open so those would not be affected. Cases that have a small opening like the Apple Bumper, do you think this opening is still in spec for the new button placement?

also, are there any cases that make this button part of their case, Like add a button to the case itself that pushes/pulls the iphones button?

-Gromet