Can Someone Explain Verizon Edge?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Traverse, May 14, 2014.

1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I just have a question about version's current overpriced options. The Verizon chat was incredibly unhelpful, urging me to make an account and buy a phone to view plans. :eek: No....

According to the GENERAL site overview: 2 smartphones + one basic phone + 2GB of data = $160 or $140 with Verizon edge.

I know with edge you pay for your phone in monthly installments is this included in the $140 or is their "SAVE MONEY WITH EDGE" plan really a rip off?

ie: $140 a month + $20ish a month smartphone payment?

Thanks!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

The phone payment isn't included in that amount, but the credit for being on Edge is included in it. So, if you were on contract with a subsidized phone you wouldn't get the credit that Edge (or out-of-contract) phones get, but you also wouldn't have the Edge phone payment, so it more or less balances out in a way.

3. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

And what do you mean "edge credit"?

Say the bill is $140 a month and the monthly phone payment is $25, my actual monthly bill would be $165 + tax?

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

So with Edge (or out-of-contract phones) you get a credit on the current plans, for those with 8 GB of data or less it's $10 for each line each month, while 10 GB or more gets $25 for each line each month. So, a 10 GB plan is $100, then each smartphone line is $40, then you get $25 off for lines that are on Edge (or just out-of-contact), but then you also have the Edge phone fee on those lines (I think something like $25). So the credit kind of balances out the phone fee. At the same time with a subsidized phone you just pay $40 per month without a phone fee or a credit (since you are on contract) which is more or less the same, at least in an example like this.

You'd have to work it out with the particular data plan you need/want and particular lines you'd have to see which one might be cheaper and/or worth it in general for you.

5. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Thanks for taking the time to explain that. These companies irk me.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, it's no worse than before as the same options are still there and now there's the additional option of Edge which is almost like subsidized with contract but more like financing over a period of time without contract but also without the device belonging to you until you pay it off actually. There is actually more good aside from that in that if you buy your device outright or bring your own or have one that you are no longer in contract with you can get that monthly discount on the line, so for those people things are cheaper now than they were before.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The edge program ls simply a lease. You lease a new phone, and the cost of the phone is broken up across two years. What makes this beneficial is that VZW then offers a credit to help offset the cost. This overall lowers the monthly bill, since the Edge program tacks on the cost of the phone to your bill.

If you pay off the phone, then you lose the edge credit but by the same token if you want to upgrade to a new phone you can, all you have to do is trade in our current one as long as its paid off by 50%

I used it to get a Nokia Lumia Icon, the trade in makes a lot of sense since I'll probably not get too much if I sell it. I'm like the WP phone but if I choose to upgrade to the iPhone 6, I can - it gives me options

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's sort of a lease to own type of thing, yeah.

There is a discount, but the highest it can be is $25, and I believe the Edge payments on the phone are generally around that, so overall it might not really lower the price and it might be higher (since some discounts are only for $10 when plans with less data are involved).

Verizon now also offers the same discount to phones that are out of contact and not on Edge, so even if you pay off the phone you should be able to retain the discount.

9. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

See what discounts you can use. They have a list of govt businesses that you can get 30% off. Maybe the family share plan will help. Unlimited text and calls with 4GB of data.

Call them and see if they can crunch some numbers for you.

10. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Not to hijack the thread, but does this mean when my Verizon contract ends my bill for 3 lines will go down $30.00?

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Depends on what plan you are on and how much data is being shared. Also depends on if Verizon is still offering this--they made it a limited time promotion, but hopefully it stays around. It's not automatic either, you have to call them to get it added to each of the lines that is out of contract.

12. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

C DM is right. On my current plan all three phones are out of contract and our bill didn't change at all, but it is still cheaper than ALL of their new plans, though not as good.

$146

One Smartphone 2GB data
    2 basic phones
    700 minutes
    500 texts

13. bige12 macrumors 6502

bige12

What Verzion Wireless dose

The monthly Access for a smart phone $40.00
    Then if you get the 10 GB that is $100
    Then the Monthly install for the phone (depending on the many GB) 16 GB iPhone 5s is $27.08 montly
    so if you add this up you get $167.08 for one phone- just depends on how data you want.

100.00 + 40.00 + 27.08= 167.08

The monthly access fee for a non smart phone is $30.00

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

You forgot to factor in the discount you get for being on Edge (or bringing your own phone), which for a $10 GB plan would be $25 off per line, which mostly offsets the monthly phone payment.

15. bige12, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014

bige12 macrumors 6502

bige12

yeap i forgot the discount.

Monthly access fees:
    Smartphones are $40
    Non smartphone are $30

Installments on all iphones no matter how much GB they have are still 27.08 would pay that for 24 months, but other wireless carriers change the installments due to the size (like AT&T)

The Data Part depends how much data you want.

then you take the 10-$25 monthly discount
    depending on data plan

To upgrade
    After 30 days, with at least 50% of your phone's price paid off, you're eligible to upgrade.

if you paid of 50% of the installment then you can trade the phone in and get a new one then the old installment for the old phone will go away, and a then you start with a new installment plan on with the new phone. If you at the end of 24 months you get to keep the phone and then you will not have to pay anymore installments

16. bwsteg macrumors 6502

Verizon Edge is no different than any other carriers financing plans. Stop factoring the price of the phone into your monthly plan cost because none of the carriers are forcing you to buy a new phone. You are entitled to bring over your OWN smartphone and still qualify for the discounts.

Basically with the 10gb + plans, it cost $100 + $15 per line

1 line = $115
    2 line = $130
    3 line = $145
    and so on....

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Edge has a monthly payment so when considering Edge it would be wise to factor that in.

18. bwsteg macrumors 6502

Factor it in on your monthly budget plan but not comparing it to your "prior" plan or competitor.

Edge basically gives you a $25 discount if you get a 10GB+ plan ($10 if your get 6GB or lower). And the consumer has two choices, either finance the phone or bring your own phone...