Can someone explain why Apple.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mizzoucat, Jul 13, 2008.

1. mizzoucat macrumors regular

makes a new iPhone that is essentially the same as the previous iPhone except the accessories that worked with the old iPhone no longer work with the new iPhone? It really ticks me off that my car charger doesn't work with my iPhone 3G. It's a freaking car charger. Why can't it work with the new iPhone? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

Is it because the new iPhone has a different shape and doesn't fit your charger?

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Which charger are you using? Also, just curious, what build of version 2.0 does your iPhone have? (5A345 or 5A347?) You can check by going into Settings -> General -> About.

FWIW, my old ExtremMac car charger, and old wall charger are working on my 3G (running 5A437). They were bought about November of 07.

And no, physically the iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPod touch all use the same connector (actually, so does the iPod Classic).

4. slick316 macrumors 6502

Wait....what? Your car charger won't work with the new iPhone? What kind of charger is it?
    My AT&T account just showed that I was upgrade eligible. I was thinking about getting the 16GB this week. I don't want to have to re-buy accessories like a car charger.

Anyone else having this issue?

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You can plug the old accessories in, but you get a "cannot charge iPhone" message. very annoying.

a pic from ilounge:

[​IMG]

6. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

So do all the other iPods except the shuffle.

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

It's because the accessories most likely use FireWire to charge the devices and the 3G iPhone can't be charged with FireWire anymore.

8. mizzoucat thread starter macrumors regular

I'm running 5A345. It's a Belkin Cigarette adapter car charger. I understand that both the new and old iphone have the same connector but when I plug my Iphone 3G into the charger, I get an error stating that this accessory will not work with the iPhone and consequently, will not charge it.

9. mizzoucat thread starter macrumors regular

That's exactly what I get. It pisses me off that I will have to buy a "new" car charger.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Just for grins, I would try a restore. That'll get you to 5A347. I just have this hunch there might be an issue witht he old build. In any case, it can't hurt to have THE latest build.

The AT&T and Apple stores in my area were selling Belkin car chargers along side the iPhone 3G, so it's gotta work (that or a lot of people who just bought car chargers are very pissed off right now).

One last thing: Does that Belkin car charger you have use a USB port to connect the cable to the charging unit?

Worst case, I use this charger. Works on both generations of iPhone (at least mine, anyway), and is only $20:

http://www.xtrememac.com/chargers/incharge_auto/index.php

11. mizzoucat thread starter macrumors regular

I will try restoring to get 5A347. And, it doesn't have a usb connector. It's all one piece.

12. SChaput macrumors regular

Out of curiosity, i have an iTrip for my car that charges my ipod as well as allowing music to play through a designated station.
    If i plugged my iphone 3g into this do you think it would play the music i want it too. Also, i realize the iphone has a speaker phone, but is it possible that while on the phone the sound would come through my car speakers? Or is the phone on a different channel...or..something.
    Thanks

13. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

I use that Belkin car charger with the USB cable except I've been using an Apple usb cable since I lost the included one. Been working fine on both old and new iPhones.

14. GNice macrumors 6502

Guess I'm lucky...my car charger still works like a charm.

15. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

They have the same type of connector, but the 3G iPhone is missing the part that allows charging via FireWire which although Apple warned they were going to eventually remove it, accessory makers kept on making accessories that charged via FireWire.

16. davidlw macrumors 6502a

I bought the Griffin car charger from AT&T and it works fine. It is a Power Jolt SE.

17. eldervovichka macrumors regular

All of my old chargers are working.... I don't know what the differences are?

Jeff

18. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

I'm very thankful that my old accessories work. I've had an iPod speaker dock since 2006 and I used it with an old 5th gen. white iPod. It worked when I upgraded to the iPod touch, and now it works with the new iPhone 3G. So no complaints here...

19. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

They need to put food in their kids mouths, and you want a new product they sell. I think that is the bottom line.

Sad for us, GOOD for them.

Guess we have to just deal with it, or NOT upgrade.

20. kyleaa macrumors regular

Apple dropped all firewire support from iPods in 2005. The touch/iPhone have never had it. Also, the OP stated that the charger worked with his old iPhone.

21. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

To make money. They still are a business.

22. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I get this with my 1st gen iPhone on a Belkin FM transmitter. It still transmits and charges. Shrug.

23. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

They dropped support of data transfers through FireWire, but they could still be charged via firewire. The 3G dropped firewire support for charging and Apple warned accessory makers that they would eventually drop support for charging too. Now you see the repercussions of those companies not changing over their accessories to USB.