Can someone explain?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mafaky, Sep 20, 2014.

1. mafaky macrumors regular

mafaky

The new iP6 Unlocked USA Pricing will be (exc. State Sales Tax).

$649 for 16GB,
    $749 for 64GB,
    $849 for 128GB.

This means, if one buys the 64GB version, he gets an extra 48GB memory at a cost of $100, but if he buys the 128GB version instead of the 64GB he gets an extra 64GB for the same amount of bucks.

What is the logic behind these pricing? Only psychological? In any case, the cost of 64GB extra RAM to Apple is higher than the cost of 48GB RAM...???

You can also see absurd looking price differences in all Apple items.

As another example, take the iPad Air:

Difference between 16GB and 32GB versions is $100, but this $100 remains constant for the difference between 32GB & 64GB versions (RAM increase is 32GB now) as well as between 64GB & 128GB versions (RAM increase is 64GB, this time...)

Does Apple indirectly say: for the best Dollars/Specs ratio, buy the highest priced version?

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

This poor dead horse has been beat to death!

It is what it is, buy it or move on!

3. mafaky thread starter macrumors regular

mafaky

Well honestly I'm expecting a more "commercially based" explanation than yours! Cheers!;)

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

How about lower density memory chips cost much less than chips the same size with more RAM (higher density chips)

That help?

You can buy 8GB SD cards for cheap but the 64GB chips are WAY most expensive.

5. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

6. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

The lowest price per GB has always been in the highest model. You're very late to the party.

7. greg555 macrumors 6502a

Apple and other companies don't price products purely on cost. Instead they try to maximize profits. $100 steps seems to work for them, even if it irritates some people and their cost of a storage step is small.

A 16 gig is priced to be a tempting entry price. People who are really cost sensitive will buy the smallest size as are people who are sure they don't need more. Other people will up-sell themselves to a 32 or 64 gig and Apple gets extra profit from them. If they started at 32 gig (or 64) for the same base price they wouldn't get any extra profit from those people.

8. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

So to answer your question the idea is that apple wants you to keep upgrading the memory. Most people think like you that they are getting a better deal if you keep upgrading because you keep getting more and more memory. So it's really just a sales tactic.

Also, I think you may be confusing ram with flash memory. Ram is short term memory where as flash Is permanent, like a hard drive on your computer. Ram is more for immediate system functions for instance if you are playing a game and it needs to remember that you just moved left or right or something. Bad example but ram is temporary.

Hope I helped

9. mafaky thread starter macrumors regular

mafaky

Tkvm. for the loud-n-clear information. Got it!...

BTW: I'm also an electronics engineer and well know the difference between RAM & Flash.

So, I'm a good and preferable customer for Apple (and many others) as I mostly prefer to buy the "highest speck'ed stuff, s much as I can afford!..." (particularly for storage and temporary storage as for RAM).

10. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

Haha I guess so, and glad that I helped!