Can someone get my number from my iphone email?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Cebra, May 9, 2013.

1. Cebra macrumors newbie

Someone keeps sending me unwanted messages, and I have no idea how they were able to find my number. My number is relatively new, and it's absolutely nowhere to be found (I'm extremely careful about personal info)..at least that I know of. The only connection I have with this person is that they know my email address, and I use the same email as the primary email on my iphone. We don't have any acquaintances in common that could've shared my number. It's driving me nuts..I'm wondering if there is an app or a software program that somehow lets people send text messages directly to someone's iphone through their email address. I have no idea how else this can happen.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Are you sure you're getting an a text message or an imessage?
    Is the bubble color in the conversation green or blue when you receive a message from that person?

3. Cebra thread starter macrumors newbie

Ohhhhh gotcha..the bubbles that come through are white, but it does say iMessage at the top. I never noticed that there was a difference between messages..now I see it. That must be how he is able to message me without knowing my number since my email is my apple id. Thanks so much..it was really starting to annoy me. I was planning on changing my email anyway..perfect time to do it now.

They can't get my actual number unless I respond right?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Even if you respond it will come through imessage using your email address.
    So in other words you're safe, they just have your email and that's how they're communicating with you.

5. Cebra thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome...turns out it's SO simple, but I couldn't figure out. This guy loves stalking me, so I was worried he had somehow gotten my new number. Thank you :)

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced