Can someone give advice on getting a phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rat-Boy, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Okay, okay.

I know there are threads about this but I am looking for concise answers to my situation.

I have two lines on a five line family plan that are eligible for upgrade. I just found out about this today at 6PM because I am a moron. Ugh.

So, one is my son's w600i Sony. The other is my mom's Blackberry.

I want to do the upgrade swap because neither of them are looking to upgrade right now and me and my wife want the 3GS. (We both have 3G bought on launch day.)

Problem is, ATT stores all around us are sold out. However, I think I can find one at Apple and/or Best Buy. But I was under the impression that I can only do the upgrade swap at a corporate ATT store, but now I am thinking that I might be wrong on that based on hints in other threads.

So, first I need to know IF I can go to an Apple store and get the upgrade price on someone else's upgrade?

Second, I need to know how it works? I mean, will they activate my mom's number on a new 3GS and her phone be screwed up for a while?

Or, can I leave the Apple store or Best Buy without activating it at all, and then just go to ATT and sort it out?

Any help is appreciated, and again, I apologize for a somewhat duplicate thread in advance.

2. phatcat macrumors regular

Can't comment on the process outside of an ATT store, however the upgraded line will not be affected during the transition. My mom's in Phoenix and her Motorola razor was unaffected when I used her line for the upgrade here in Chicago. I still recommend you doing this at an ATT corporate store. They should have plenty stock within a week.

3. DEdwards2204 macrumors member

DEdwards2204

You can act as if the upgrade is for them and then just put your and your wife's SIM cards in the new phones. Your son and mother won't be able to upgrade for another 2 years, but you can still upgrade your own phone in December if you wanted. Basically it's just swapping when you guys can upgrade.

4. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

I did an upgrade swap at an ATT store but talked to the rep about this same situation

Upgrade swap CAN be done at all locations selling the iPhone IF you have the upgrades on the family account. The only bump in the road is the CSR at non ATT retail stores may not be familiar with the term "Upgrade Swap" and therefore might give you that blank stare of "wtf you talking about?" (You all know what I'm talking about).

5. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

i would just get the basic model 3g. its only 100 and its just as good as the iphone 3gs almost.

6. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

The upgrade is well worth it for 100 bucks.

7. Rat-Boy thread starter macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I guess my confusion is what happens at the store? I mean, if I upgrade their phones, do they activate the new phones with their numbers or do they not even activate them?

We already have 3GS.

We both want the quality video capability.

8. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

I didn't go to an Apple store, just asked if it could be done and they said yes. It would be much easier to either do it online or go to an ATT store. Call the store before going there and confirm it can be done. Best buy may have ATT CSR's at the store, but they got a limited supply of iPhones. Apple will be your best bet, it all depends on if they are familiar with upgrade swap. Its fairly common so you'll probably be alright.

9. Rat-Boy thread starter macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Well, I called the Apple store, and they said only ATT can do an upgrade swap.

The thing is, my mom and son are going to take our 3G phones.

So, could I upgrade them to the 3GS, and then we just swap SIM cards?

Or is it more difficult than that?

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

AT&T lets you upgrade if you have an upgrade date of June/July/August/September and have an iPhone 3G.

11. Rat-Boy thread starter macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Yea, but we don't.

That is the root of the problem.

But my Mom (Blackberry) and son (regular phone) are both due.

So I want to upgrade them but let them have the normal 3G phones because that is all they need.

12. DEdwards2204 macrumors member

DEdwards2204

All you do is go in, tell them you want the two iPhone 3G S's and then tell them your plan information and they sell you your phones at subsidized prices. Then all you do is swap the four SIM cards you're done.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

LOL, just as good. Yeah right.

14. Rat-Boy thread starter macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Thanks!

On my way to Apple now to try this exact thing. Glad to know this will work! :D