Can someone help me answer these questions?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tggivens, Sep 15, 2014.

1. tggivens macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have some questions about iMovie, iMac and Final Cut Pro:

Before I get into the questions I want to say I'm working with a 27' inch iMac intel. My memory is almost gone so here goes my questions:

1. We are making a documentary. Should we get Final Cut Pro instead of trying to edit this documentary in iMovie?

2. Also, the interviews we've uploaded onto iMovie, can those interviews from iMovie be uploaded into Final Cut, or do you have to upload them onto Final Cut straight from your camera memory card?

3. Anyone have any advice on what route I should take for backing up my interviews?

4. Anyone know the best way to import subtitles in a documentary? *note, we have a documentary that's ready to go but needs subtitles, just wondering on how to do that.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Just to clarify, what exactly do you mean by that?

Given the cost of FCP, I'd give iMovie a try first. It should be able to meet your needs.

3. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

1. Definitely! Editing a documentary professionaly is going to be hard enough in FCP X (not software limitation just the reality of commercial film editing), it would be terribly difficult on iMovie and wouldn't turn out as high quality in my opinion.

2. You can go to your movies folder and look through the iMovie event content to find "original media" which will contain your video files. Simply import those into Final Cut, no need to reconnect your cameras.

3. External storage and Time Machine.

4. If you haven't written the subtitles yet you can do that with titles but it will take some time. If you want it to look like TV subtitles you can use this plugin if not then simply do it with titles spaced properly.