Can someone help me find this engagement ring online?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Orange Furball, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange Furball, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013

Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

*image removed thread solved*

That's the ring in question. I can't just ask what kind it is as the couple in question is.... Well lets just say its a situation where I can't ask and leave it at that.

Anyone know what kind of engagement ring it is? My and my girlfriend are curious (it's the one on the right)

Attached Files:

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Now I'm a whole lot more interested in why you can't ask than I am in the ring itself.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Indeed, why mention it at all if not to provoke us to wonder?

4. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

It's a princess cut diamond.
    I'm not sure what more do you want to know? You want to buy that ring or a similar ring online??

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

My guess is that an ex-GF got engaged, and OP wants to figure out how much $$$ it is worth.

6. chown33 macrumors 604

I don't think it is. Zoomed in, it looks to me like 9 small stones of the same size, arranged in a square setting. Each small stone looks to be a round cut.

There are additional small stones set in a channel on each side. These also appear to be round cut.

7. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I like to have some mystery in my posts...

But this is wrong. Nice guess though.

Yes I do want to figure out how much it's worth haha

8. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

You're right. Once i zoomed it, it's exactly how you describe it. That definitely makes it cheaper.

9. firedept, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013

firedept macrumors 603

firedept

It is a princess cut style setting, pave set with round brilliant cut diamonds. This is done to make it look expensive at a quick glance. Diamonds in band are channel set and are round brilliant cut diamonds. Very cheap compared to a princess cut diamond of that size. The only thing that would make that ring have any value, was if the karat weight of the gold was 18K or platinum.

But my guess would be that it is most likely Sterling Silver or 10K. Almost looks like costume jewelry.

Don't ask me how I know so much about jewelry.

10. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Brilliant! What would you appraise it at? Just a rough estimate if you could

11. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

That is impossible to do with out knowing several things. I need to know the alloy used ie. gold. silver, etc. Need to know diamond carat weight and minimum grade.

If it is sterling with low quality diamonds, I would not pay more than $100-150 for it new. Even if diamonds were middle of the road, same.

If 10K gold with decent diamonds maybe $300-350 just because of gold prices.

Remember rings that have their diamonds set pave & channel are usually lesser grade diamonds because they use quantity to make it "sparkle". It is a way for jewelers to get rid of their lesser value smaller diamonds easily. Not a bad thing, just a better way to present them.

Most diamonds these days are not the quality of old diamonds. When I want a good diamond, I usually buy an old diamond of VVS or better quality and F or better in color, then get it re-cut or reset. But that can be very expensive.

Some of the better diamonds today are coming from Northern Canada. A personal friend of mine in Edmonton is the supplier for these diamonds almost exclusively. Polar Ice Diamonds. I have been to his personal office an seen thousands upon thousands of carats of these diamonds being graded.

I am very fortunate having this gentleman as a friend. We met because we have a mutual interest in Japanese & Chinese antiques. And he has been a mentor to me for many years in both diamonds and antiques.

I have studied and collected antique jewelry for close to 30 years now. It is probably my number one hobby. And I make a little cash from it as well. So now you know how I learned about gems and jewelry.

One more thing to add about the ring. This style of ring is not a good investment. It will never gain in value. It would be much better to get a nice solitaire diamond of decent quality than a bunch of cheaper pave set diamonds.

Hope this informs you a bit and good luck with whatever your intentions are.

12. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Thank you so much. This clears everything up.

Also congrats on your knowledge! I wish I knew that much, it'd make jewelry buying a lot easier!

Thanks for everyone.

Mod, feel free to lock this thread if you'd like.

/thread

13. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

That's pretty cheap for an engagement ring :eek:

Also my guess about the couple is that they're no longer engaged, hence why it'd be awkward to ask ;)

14. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Agreed. In the 1930s, they suggested that a man should spend the equivalent of one month's income on the engagement ring; later they suggested that he should spend two months' income on it. In 2007, the average cost of an engagement ring in USA as reported by the industry was $2,100 US.

$2100 will get you a decent ring by today's standards. But to get a really nice ring if you can afford it, and remember it is an investment, would probably be more in the $3,000-5,000 range.

It was my pleasure!

15. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Good guess but no :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.