Can someone help me out with this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gunkub, Oct 24, 2012.

1. gunkub macrumors newbie

I'm an exchange student and now staying in Michigan.

The thing is I can't use skype / facetime at school and I don't have internet at home(my host family). I'm now using pay as you go of AT&T and I live in the country side and the signal is very poor, sometimes no signal at all, this also happens at my school. The school is using smart filter.

I just want to video call back to my country, can someone pls help :(

P.S. I don't really have any problem about can't video call to my parent but my grandfather is dying, just so you know.

2. AznTakumi macrumors regular

What the fudge what kind of punk ass host family doesn't have Internet. Complain!!! Go to Starbucks, McDonald's, bookstores, or coffee shops, they have public wifi

3. gunkub thread starter macrumors newbie

The point is they is so nice that i can't say that and they have internet but it's Verizon Mifi and the open it about once or twice a week and it is really bad because we're in the country side. I can't go anywhere by myself because they don't let me and the town is so far away. :(

Thanks for answer :eek:

4. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

As another poster stated I would check out McDonald's and Starbucks. Both offer free Wifi and it is unfiltered. If you currently have AT&T service, you may check there website to see where they have AT&T WiFi hotspots. Access to the hotspots are normally included with your plan.

Good luck!

5. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Other than the suggested, it appears that your access is limited, unfortunately.

I trust that you are able to contact your family in short time.

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I live in NW ohio. You're welcome to come over any time and use my 24mbps wifi.

7. jimmyb5374 macrumors member

i'm here in the uk so forgive me if this can't be done ..

can your host family not take you to a mobile shop and set you up with a pay as you go mi-fi device even if its just for a month or two , in the uk here we can do that for the equivalent of about $20 a month to give you a decent access ????

just a thought from across the pond , good luck from me

james

8. gunkub thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice will figure it out :eek:
    Thanks you guys so much :eek:
    As I say in the comment the signal is so poor that I can't do that :(

Thanks for comment :eek:

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sure, that's very nice of you.
    Remind me not to ever host you and put you in my house :rolleyes:

10. gunkub thread starter macrumors newbie

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What do you expect us to do bro?
    Find a fast wifi somewhere or purchase a mifi wireless adapter.
    Or ask some people at your school to see if they will let you come by their house and use the internet for a little while if they have a good and fast connection.
    What other help can we give you besides advice?
    Maybe post the town that you live in to see if anyone is close by and can help you.
    Its not like they have you locked in the house and dont let you go out right? And if you dont get any wireless signal out there find someone with a cable or dsl connection.

12. gunkub thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate your answer and I have already trying to find someplace, someone that have internet for me but no one answer me about that yet. I find some teacher but they are not ready for me to come because they are now studying night time in college. I would continue to find a way so.

13. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Have you thought about talking to the school administration about your special circumstances & asking if they might allow you to use the access at school in order to contact your family? Maybe in a counselor's office or library after school? Do you also have a time zone difference & if so, would after school hours still be OK?

Given that you're an exchange student & you have an illness in your family, perhaps the school could make an exception for you if you inform them of the details. Compassion for you is something that they could feel good about, too.

Best wishes for speaking with your Grandfather. :)

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.
    Also did you try telling your host family about your grandfather dying?
    They're not willing to help you at all? I would find that very hard to believe.
    Hope you're not making up something like that....

15. gunkub thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to do that but just don't want to let anyone know about my grandfather cause my host mom teach here and she will be worry about it but if there really no way, I think i have to do told them about that and see if they can help.

----------

just don't want them to worry but I think I have to tell them after all. I don't gain any profit from making up a story, please understand that.

16. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Although some cultures are very private about keeping personal details to themselves, if those around you don't know that you have a need, no help can be forthcoming. :)

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Just saying bro.
    If my grandfather was dying I wouldnt be affraid to tell a stranger about it like my host family incase they will worry. I'd be the one worrying about it, why would they? Its not like they know him.
    Stop making excuses and find a way to talk to him or it might be too late.
    I hope you're not making it up either. Tell them what's happening and if they are nice they will help you one way or another. You dont need to go around their back for something as serious as that.
    unless its someone else you want to talk with skype then I could see trying to hide it.
    Whatever it is, good luck.

18. gunkub thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for advice, I will talk to IT head officer tomorrow and let see if they can help :eek:

P.S. My host family know my parent...

19. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Best of luck to you and please let us know how it works out. Those are the two sides of the coin - asking for advice and then posting your solution. :)

And you don't need to be embarrassed ---> :eek:

20. gunkub thread starter macrumors newbie

I told the IT head officer about this but he can't really help so much due to the lack of time USA 1 PM are my country midnight so after school time is about 2 AM of my country but when I told my host family they said they gonna take me somewhere for this.

Thanks for help guys. :)

P.S.@Applejuiced Dude, I know what you are thinking about this and I shouldn't be asking for help here in the first place and should tell them since the beginning. Well Thanks for advice after all :)

21. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I had mentioned that I was worried about the time difference and I'm sorry that it's such an obstacle. It's excellent that your host family will be able to help you, now that they are aware of the circumstances.

I always feel that when hard things happen in life and you are able to share them with others, your worry is lightened a bit because others are also hoping for things to work out for the best and encouraging you along the way. :)

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hope it works out for you in the end bro.
    Glad they're willing to help you and take you somewhere.
    Good luck.