Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tktaylor1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
I have photoshop elements and I am trying to combine these two images. I want the camo to fill in the white parts of the flag. So basically instead of there being white on the flag, I want camo. I cant figure it out for the life of me. Can someone graciously do this for me or tell me how to do it?

5167080-l.jpg

rdstn_-00_tennessee-flag-decal.jpg

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Well...

A cheap way to do it in Photoshop is:
1. Take the flag and the other picture and have them into the same composition in two layers. The flag on top.

2. Take magic wand and select the white area you want to delete.

3. Once is selected, press "delete" and the white selection will be deleted letting you see the layer underneath.

It will look sort of cheap depending on the resolution the pictures are. The mayor resolution, the more accurate the white selection will be removed.

tktaylor1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
Well...

1. Take the flag and the other picture and have them into the same composition in two layers. The flag on top.

3. Once is selected, press "delete" and the white selection will be deleted letting you see the layer underneath.

It will look sort of cheap depending on the resolution the pictures are. The mayor resolution, the more accurate the white selection will be removed.

I took your advice. It worked and it looks fine to me. I might tweak it more tomorrow. This is what I got so far. Thank You

Attachments

• Custom TN Flag.jpg
    Custom TN Flag.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 804

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
This is what I got so far.

A hot mess.

Sometimes you have to see it to see that it doesn't work as well as you may have imagined.

That doesn't mean it ultimately can't be done, just not quite the way you thought it would.

Edit: This is Photoshop, not Photoshop Elements. But I'll bet that PE gives you these capabilities as well.

I've attached below an example of what you're trying to do. Have you worked with Layers and Masks before? The Mask acts like a filter: White let's 100% of the image pass through. Black does not let ANY of the image to pass through. Any shade of gray allows the corresponding percentage of image to pass through.

So the camo image passes through the mask and shows on top of the flag.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please ask.

And show us the results!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-19 at 11.58.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-19 at 11.58.21 AM.png
    280.2 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

macuser453787

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2012
Galatians 3:13-14

Or to preserve editability, use a layer mask to "Hide Selection" in step 3 instead of pressing delete. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.