can someone help me, please? =(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by suikoden352, Jun 22, 2010.

1. suikoden352 macrumors member

ok, so i don't know much about phone reserving and upgrade stuff so i figured i'd ask y'all and see what i could find out. i'd appreciate any helpful info.

i had an 1phone 3g for the last year as a hand me down phone from my dad since he upgraded last year to the 3gs. i have been eligible for an upgrade since march. my iphone pretty much has gone useless now because of upgrading to ios 4 because it is caught in a self resetting bootloop and i've tried everything to get it to stop doing it and work fine. i spent an hour on the phone with apple yesterday and even they couldn't help me. with the new iphone coming out on thursday, i now have this sneaking fear for some reason that because my old iphone is like that now that i won't be able to get an iphone 4 thru upgrade =( i really hope my fears are incorrect though.

i'm using my mom's 3gs for now till thursday. am i gonna be ok? will i be able to get my new phone still for upgrade pricing?

2. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I'm sorry I can't help you with fixing your phone but I can say it will have NO affect on your upgrade eligibility.

3. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Don't worry. If you are eligible it doesn't matter if your current iPhone is a brick. You'll still get the preferred price.

Have you tried a recovery mode? It's rare that iPhones are totally bricked. I suppose the Apple support folks must have asked you to try this.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

4. suikoden352 thread starter macrumors member

yea. they asked me to do recovery mode and the phone is pretty much not responsive other than it will load for a little bit and then freeze up for 30 or so seconds and then restart and then do it again. i can't even reset the phone to factory setting on itunes cuz the phone freezes itunes when it freezes up. they told me i'd have to send it in for repairs if i wanted it working again and since the warranty is expired they said it would cost 200 bucks. i only have enough for the 32 gb iphone 4 that i have been savin for.

so i don't need my old iphone 3g for when i go get my phone? i can just go get it? what about my number and stuff since the iphone 4 runs on a micro sim instead of a regular sim? do i just go to att for that like i was plannin to do?

thanks to those so far that have given me answers. i really do appreciate it. just hasn't been a good week so far

5. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

take your sim with you not your 3g. they will try to talk you out of it!! they will give you a new micro sim with the new 4. if you have any contacts on your old sim they will switch them over for you. sounds like you should restore your 3g in dfu mode.

I have a customer on the way to my office now with the exact same issue. if I get it fixed I will post.

6. suikoden352 thread starter macrumors member

thank you very much for the info. i don't know what dfu mode is or how to do it on a phone so yea. lol poo on me i guess =p