Can someone help me setup my HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PeterQC, Sep 5, 2009.

1. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

I'm trying to setup partitions on my MacBook's hard drive so I can tri-boot OS 10.6, 10.5 and Win7. So far, I've been able to make 10.6 and 10.5 work, but I can't make Win7 install itself in its MS-FAT partition. I can't install it using BootCamp because obviously I have more than 1 partition, even if I've read around here that It would be working with a simple MS-FAT partition made with Disk Utility.

Here's what I'm looking for:

250 GB HDD:

40GB with Mac OS 10.6.
    40GB with Mac OS 10.5 (I need it because I use Adobe CS3 for school)
    130GB for my personal, music, school, etc. files.
    ~40GB with Windows 7 RC1 (Gaming)

What can I do to make everything work? Do I first install 10.6, use bootcamp to make the 40 GB NTFS partition for Win 7 THEN divide the 10.6 partition into the 3 others partition I need? Or is there a way around bootcamp to be able to install Windows? Because it kind of bother me that I can't install Windows how I want, because once my RC is out of date, I will need to eventually reinstall my old XP version, and I don't want to format everything once again!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes.

3. PeterQC thread starter macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

There are other options, that's just the easiest way. There are plenty of tutorials on triple-booting a Mac online, and while most only cover Mac/Windows/Linux, the same principle should be easily applicable.