Can someone help me understand this? iPhone wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sulpfiction, Sep 22, 2011.

1. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Ever since I've upgraded my my iPhone to 4.3.5 and my iMac to 10.7.1, I've had weird issues with connecting to my wifi on my iPhone. I have an AP extreme. I am not very wifi savvy so I am hoping someone can look at this and let me know whats going on..

As you can see in the pictures, my iPhone is saying its connected to my home wifi..Just as it always has. But if you notice, it is still showing the connection as 3G. And the network info shows only the IP address and the Subnet Mask. No router or DNS. I've run speed tests and it's definitely on cellular data and not wifi.

My iPad2 had some weird issues initially but it now connects to "sulps home" 5ghz band with no problem. But it still has issues connecting to my regular "sulps home" 2.4ghz that i usually use.

iPhone keeps asking for my password over and over and never connect. If it does seem like it finally connects, the above pics are all i get.

None of these issues existed until i upgraded both my mac and iPhone (which I did one after the other). So I don't know which upgrade (if any) caused this.

I done power cycles, cleared pram (per advice from a friend), renewed leases, and anything else I could think of (which again isn't too much).

The weird thing is that I have another all in one wireless router/switch that I use for my Vonage land line. I couldn't disconnect it because my land line uses it and it happens to have a wireless router built in. I have that network (DLinkVWR) unsecured and let guests use it. My iPhone connects to that network (DLinkVWR) with no problems and works perfectly.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me! its driving me nuts. If there is any other info needed to diagnose, please let me know and I will post it.

Thanks all!

Attached Files:

2. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

Did you reset the wireless access point? I'm sure you have. Usually its my access point that eff's up and not my phone or pad.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

try General>Settings>Reset>Reset Network Settings

then try to reconnect again (this process will rule out your phone as the one with the issue and then we can focus on your AEBS)

4. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Just reset. Thanks for that info BTW..hadn't tried it. Still same problem though. It shows a full wireless signal, it's ticks on the network but never changes from 3g to wifi. Then it won't show anything in the network window for a 45 seconds to a minute, then the IP & Subnet will show up, but thats it. I'm totally lost.

5. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I was getting ready for work this morning and the power went out in my house for about 10 seconds. when it kicked back on i said to myself "hmm..let me try to connect to my home network one more time. Now, since this problem started I have done about 10 power cycles, 5 hard resets, etc. So I waited a few minutes to let the router reset itself. Once it did my phone automatically connected to the correct "sulps home" network, like it always had. It's working perfectly right now.

Anyway, thank u "saving107" for the advice. Im pretty sure ur suggesstion fixed it...I just needed to power cycle the AE after resetting...which accidently happened this morning when power went out for a few minutes.

6. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

Hey,

Great that's it's working now however just for information, download a program called inssider and scan other wireless networks, I bet that theirs others in your area. Now pic a 2.4 channel that has nothing either side of it and change the ap 2.4 channel to that.

The screen shots you posted of the 169. ip address are typical of interference on the channel.

7. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

That is great to know...Thanks. I was wondering about the ip. One question..When you say scan for other wireless networks in my area, does that mean like my neighbors wifi? and what does "nothing on either side of it" mean.

Sorry to sound stupid, but wifi and I don't go well together. I know the basics but thats about it. Once you start getting any deeper, I'm lost. Basically I need someone to explain it as if they were explaining it to a 4 year old. :eek:

8. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Each wifi network uses a channel but it also overlaps a channel either side of it. Eg, channel 6 actually uses 5-7.

Theres many programs that scan networks and tell you what channel they use. If your on 4 and next door are on 5 you will get issues as they overlap.

The ap is probably set to auto so when it switches on it scans and uses a channel that is not used nearby.

From your second screen shot it appears only your two networks are there in which case set one network to channel 1 and the other to anything above 4 and they will not interfere.

You won't get this problem using the 5ghz mode on your iPad as 5ghz is very rare at the moment and where it is used has lots more channels so less likely to clash.

Does this make sense? I've done lots of research on the topic so it comes easy to me.

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

What I think MyRomeo means, to reduce interference with a nearby router try to be at least 3 channels or more away from whatever your neighbors have (if possible).

My iMac is on the 5GHz network and on channel 157, far away from what my neighbors are on. My neighbors have also done a good job of staying on separate channels (channel 2, 6, 9)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. z3r0inc, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

z3r0inc macrumors regular

Just for future reference...

The fact that your IP address 169.254.x.x means you have a DHCP lookup error (well duh I guess since that's why you're posting :D) If you are able to connect to your wi-fi at all and and are assigned 169.254.x.x, the most likely thing that's wrong (in my experience) is your router (more specifically and "technically correct", your switch). You can start diagnosing from there.

Since your router was reset, it was a "quick fix" and reassigned addresses when it started back up. There was nothing wrong with your phone itself.

Good luck! This may or may not happen again very soon.

11. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I've had this problem a couple times with my iPhone... have you tried restoring your iPhone? That may fix the problem.