Can someone help me with finding a nice car mount/dock?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ivbaseball06, Dec 7, 2012.

1. ivbaseball06 macrumors member

Hi all,

My wife has an iPhone 4 that she keeps in a plastic snap-on case (like the ones sold at the Apple store). She is looking to buy a car accessory and these are the parameters:

-It will hold the phone up (a mount on the window, dash, or vent)
    -It will charge her phone
    -It will play her music through her stereo

One big disadvantage to all of this is that her car is from 2001 and does not have a headphone jack or USB port. From this, I guess the only options are a cassette extension or the FM transmitter. I prefer the FM because it reduces the amount of wires.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for an all-in-one mount/charger/FM transmitter? I've only really been able to find one, and it had so-so reviews. There are a few that have FM/charging but no mount, just a cord to the iPhone.

It would be nice if her phone would fit in the mount even with the plastic case on it, but it's not a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance!

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

All-in-ones are a bit trickier to find in my experience and suffer from the old "jack of all trades..." old saying. There are plenty of options out there if you're not fixated on the all-in-one aspect.

Not necessarily. There are aftermarket interfaces for many factory car stereos. The interface will handle carrying sound and charging but you'd need a mounting solution as well.

Keep in mind that modulators have the worst sound quality out of all the options. I can understand the appeal of less wires but make sure that sound quality isn't a concern if you're seriously considering one.