Can someone help me with Super Duper?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gigsandgigs, Mar 21, 2012.

1. gigsandgigs macrumors newbie

Hi guys I'm mainly PC user but I have a Macbook Pro (Lion) fresh off of a clean install and I want to create a disk image for backup. I have the trial version of Super Duper 2.6.4 but I'm willing to pay for the full one if need be.

Basically on PC I use Acronis True Image 2011 and I have images backed up on an External hard drive that I can restore to at any time to bring my computer to exactly how it was when that image was taken.

I want to do the exact same thing with Super Duper, and again I'll be wanting to save the image to an External hard drive. I've read through the manual but I'm still kind of confused with all the different back up options and image options like sparse image, read only or whatever.

I just want to create an image that I can restore to at any time to bring my computer back to that state, just like I do with Acronis on my PC.

Hope someone can help, thanks all.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I prefer Carbon Copy Cloner. It's free and quite simple to use. You can create a bootable backup of your drive, then keep that backup current with regular incremental backups. If your internal drive dies, you can simply boot from the backup and you're up and running again.

3. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

4. brn2rnjk1 macrumors regular

I use super duper to make a clone. So easy and then I have an external backup that I can boot up to. Also, very easy to do incremental backups. Love the program.

5. willieva macrumors 6502

Super duper will do the job for you. I've been using it for years without a problem. Not sure about the options you mentioned, I just use the default settings. It will make a bootable copy of the computer. The paid version does an incremental backup so it doesn't take as long as copying the whole drive.

The superduper forums are an excellent place to post questions. Often the guy who wrote it will reply quickly.

6. orthm macrumors newbie

I've been using Super Duper for 3 years now, work great. To create a drive clone, select your source drive in the upper left pull down box (Copy). In the upper right pulldown (to), select the destination drive. The "using" field is the type of backup. Select "Backup - all files". Then press "copy now". you will be asked to confirm that you want to erase the destination drive. Agree and off you go. The drive need to be formatted in Mac OS Extended (journaled) before Super Duper will use it as a target drive for backups. SuperDuper erases the target drive every backup in the free version. Also, if you have set up bootcamp, neither Superduper or CCC will copy the windows partition. Need to use Winclone for that.