Can someone help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by icesac26, Apr 16, 2007.

1. icesac26 macrumors member

icesac26

Both iTunes and Dashbord is not reading my internet, but Soft Update and FireFox/Safari all are, what is going on and how do I fix it???

Thanks in advance,

Donny

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Maybe they're being blocked by a program such as little snitch.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are you on a commercial or institutional connection that requires specific proxy settings?

4. icesac26 thread starter macrumors member

icesac26

All I know is that it is my home computer and have never had this prob before.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you tried resetting your network by unplugging your modem/router from the power for a minute or so before plugging it back in? :)

6. icesac26 thread starter macrumors member

icesac26

I think I have a clue, I installed a program called iSheriff, and since then, Safari wont show anything but the isheriff page saying it doesn't trust it, even after I have used cleanapp to uninstall. It does affect all my apple programs (Safari, Disk Utility, iTunes, Dashbord, Software Update, etc) Can someone help with what to do now, I am thinking it may deal with prefs, but I cant see why, since Fire fox works right, and reads the connection just fine, it only affects the apple apps, and I can't even do a repair permissions

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Firefox sort of runs off its own internet settings so it makes sense that it hasn't been affected. I haven't used Cleanapp so I don't know how it works, but have you done a Spotlight search for any remaining files? Have you logged into iSheriff's support page to see if there's anything you may have missed when uninstalling? :)

8. icesac26 thread starter macrumors member

icesac26

the head company, will not respond to my emails to help me remove it all. I have tried 3 times now, so anything else I can do besides reinstall everything on my harddrive

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You installed enterprise content security management on your own computer? Why on earth?

Okay, try this...

First, open activity monitor from your utilities folder. Type sheriff in the search bar; find the sheriff running process and kill the sucker. Might need to password in to do this.

Second, Delete the Sheriff folder from the applications folder.

Third, delete /library/startupitems/sheriff

Now if things are still not working, reboot (not sure you need to reboot).

Should resolve the issue.

Now never do it again. ;)

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The restart may be necessary if some of the files are locked. They won't let you delete them from the Trash but it'll be possible to after a restart. :)

11. icesac26 thread starter macrumors member

icesac26

ok did that and also spotlighted any sherriff files and deleted them, but still having the prob. anything else :)

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay then mate. Maybe look into an Archive & Install. Back everything up first, but it's a pretty safe procedure and should leave you with all your files.