Can someone offer me the best solution to my situation? regarding time machine backup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tongteh, Oct 7, 2009.

1. tongteh macrumors 6502

so i have got a 750GB external harddrive(wired), and partitioned it to 300GB for time machine. At that time i didn't realise how important time machine could be so i only gave it 300GB, but now i am needing more space to it. So i have decided to use that entire external harddrive(750Gb) for time machine backup..

Is there anywhere i can maintain the previous time machine backups and combine the remaining 450GB of space into the first partition(time machine partition)?

thank you very much for any help, very much appreciated.

quickly, if i just delete partition 2(450GB), can i merge it with the partition 1?

2. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

You're going to need to copy the data on the non time machine partition to another storage device if the drive is close to full. If you have space on the disk you could technically increase the Time Machine partition and gradually copy files across as you go. It's a bit ricky though as fiddling with partitions can be dangerous.

3. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

i dont quite get what you mean? are you saying if there's empty space, i could merge the two partition together? right now, i could only delete the non time machine partition, but can't resize it.. :(

Update: either way, right now i am copying my files on my non-time machine partition to another external harddrive.. I am planning to delete that non-time machine partition and try merging the two together(time-machine partition and the remaining empty space)..

I am not sure if this is do-able, so if anyone have done the something similar before please let me know if this works. thanks..