Can someone please answer my Maverick question(thank you)

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by christfit43, Jul 26, 2014.

1. christfit43 macrumors newbie

Ok, I want to download maverick because Im still on Leopard 10.6.8 but I do not have an external hard drive to backup using time machine. Im a little hesitant about downloading maverick from reading bout bugs and issues with it. Any info or suggestions are welcome or is the bugs that are being complained about overblown. Thank You. Any input is welcome. :apple:

2. ricede macrumors regular

ricede

Mavericks is fairly solid now after the 4th update. Having said that, you only have to read the forums to realise that there are still problems for some people, and others just don't like the changes.

Personally i would recommend that you get an Ext HD to do a TimeMachine backup. At least then - if you are not happy with Mavericks, you can do a 'Restore' back to Snow Leopard.

If you do not have a full backup of Snow Leopard - you will NOT* be able to return to Mavericks, as the update changes many files which are then no longer compatible with SL.

( * except by completely wiping your drive & reinstalling SL from the install disk. Obviously in that case you would lose all your files. )

3. christfit43 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Well, that depends. I just switched from 10.6.8 to Mavericks a couple of weeks ago. I used an external drive and SuperDuper! to create a bootable clone of my 10.6.8 installation, so I could always go back to that. Meanwhile I have Time Machine for whatever new I created in Mavericks.

Anyhow, I'm now fine with Mavericks - it works for me, though maybe that depends on what computer you have (mine: late 2009 iMac 27" i7 2.8Ghz with 8GB RAM), and what applications you use. You will lose access to anything that's PPC. I still have a couple of PPC apps, and I just boot into my 10.6.8 bootable clone, and use it. No problems so far.

And so far, I love Mavericks, though I don't do anything iCloud related (don't need it).

However, we are close to the release of Yosemite, so I guess you could wait on that... but personally, I don't like to jump on the first release, so I'd only switch to Yosemite after most major bugs are worked out or at least identified, which means a .3 or so. Of course, at that point they have the next release of OS X and then you wait again on the .3 and so it goes.

So I just finally plunged in and got onto Mavericks. I'm OK with waiting for Yosemite .3, and then upgrading if I feel like it.

I upgraded to Mavericks because too many apps were no longer being updated for SL, so I had to get on with the times. But my Mavericks experience has actually been a very happy one. There's a couple of things I'm not a fan of (the pale icons in Finder I have a hard time making out - that sucks), but generally it's a huge win - especially like the gestures... makes things so much faster.

So one man's opinion - jump in, the water's fine.

5. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

no matter what you do, BACK YOUR MAC UP. this is just common sense...

6. Isamilis macrumors 6502

In case you interested on SL-Mavericks experience. I switched from Snow Leopard to Mavericks few months ago before switched back to Snow Leopard due to performance issues. I have MacBook Pro 2011 4 GB with standard HDD.