Can someone please clear up the differences between Chromium and Chrome for me.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Molecule, May 27, 2010.

1. Molecule macrumors regular

I've done a bit of Googling, so I know the basic differences between Chromium and Chrome (Chrome is more or less a rebranded version of Chromium etc.).
    I just need a couple of things clarified.

1. Does Chromium spy on you like Chrome does?

2. Chromium is fully open-source. Does Chrome include any closed-source components that Chromium does not?

3. Chrome does - or will - include Flash by default. Is Chromium the same or is it to remain pure? Flash Player is closed source, so I can't possibly imagine how this would fit with Chromium's full open-source-ness.

I may come up with more questions later, or I may not. But for now that's all I really need to know.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Molecule
    :apple:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They both connect to the internet. Chromium and Chrome (and Safari, and Firefox, and Apple, and Google, and any website you visit) "spy" on you.

IIRC Chrome is also "open source" in that it's code is available, just various parts are covered by various licenses (like the BSD license).

Flash being closed has nothing to do with it being supported/not supported in Chrome/Chromium.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You totally misunderstand the purpose of Chromium and its relationship with Chrome. The point of Chromium is not to be different than Chrome but rather to lead its development. Chromium is to Chrome as WebKit is to Safari.

4. Molecule thread starter macrumors regular

1. That's not very helpful. In fact, it's borderline smartarsery :p
    Does it track your usage like Chrome does?

2. I know Chrome is open-source. But does it have any closed-source components?

3. That's not the question. Support for Flash is irrelevant - Chrome actually includes Flash, built in (or it will in the near future. I'm not sure if it does yet.). Does/will Chromium?

On the contrary, I fully understand the relationship between Chrome and Chromium (oh and by the way: WebKit is to Safari as Webkit is to Chrome :p). Chromium is fully capable of running as a standalone browser - no Google-ness required. I am asking about specific differences between the two, as outlined in the OP.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why don't you investigate yourself? Google is in the business of tracking usage habits so they can target ads at you. If you use a Google service, they are collecting data on you. Chromium is (or will be) a Google service. ...

From Google's Chromium webpage:

Since Chrome is more or less a dumbed-down version of what Google wants Chromium to be, I'd say it's a safe bet. You can find out yourself by looking at the Chromium code.

http://code.google.com/chromium/

Going to have to disagree with you there, based on your previous statement;

Chrome is a web browser. Chromium is - in theory - a Web operating system. It's less of a "rebranded version" than a functioning alpha release of where the larger project is headed.

6. Molecule thread starter macrumors regular

Now you're just being difficult. And you're still not answering my questions.

Chromium is not a Google service. Google does not own Chromium. Google Supports Chromium, but does not own it. Google does own Chrome.

Chromium may well be, in theory, a web operating-system. In practice, Chromium - like Chrome - is a web browser.

*sigh*
    This isn't working. I know you're trying to help, but still...this just isn't working. Let's start again:

1. Google Chrome - the browser itself - tracks your usage. If you use Chromium as a browser, does it do the same?

2. Chrome comes with Flash built in*. Does Chromium?

*It either does now, or will very soon. Either way, Flash is/will be fully integrated into the Chrome browser.

7. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Here's an article that should answer at least one of your questions.

But I still don't know where you're getting that "Google Chrome - the browser itself - tracks your usage." Yes there is an option to allow Chrome to transmit anonymous usage data, but it's not required.

8. Molecule thread starter macrumors regular

Some usage tracking is optional. Other usage tracking is not. Read Google's Chrome privacy notice for full details.