can someone please explain Half-Life to me?

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
okay, the only HL game i've played is Half-Life 2, just the standard game, none of the add-ons. Very sweet game BTW, one of the only few games i've actaully finished.

But all the time I was playing, and everytime I see something HL related, I keep wondering - "WTF is the G-man from & what's up with him??" In fact, what's up with the whole story? I just don't get it? Aliens came to Earth? The bad guys engineered some bio-weaponry?

And now something that got me thinking again was what I saw on this page...
http://ep1.half-life2.com/index.php

In Half-Life, the G-Man made you. In Half-Life 2, he used you to defeat Dr. Breen and start the Resistance. In Episode One, he's lost control.
:confused:

The G-man "made" Gordan? (Gordon is the main characters name isn't it? it's been a while since I played. :p)

So what's the deal with the character you play in HL? The G-man just uses you, brings you out at specific times - then what? You go back into hibernation?

If someone could explain this, I'd really appreciate an answer, this is driving me nuts.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors 601
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
The G-man's the one in the suit. If you've got half life then I think you can download Half-Life 1 via steam for free. Do that and give it a try, its fantastic!! The graphics aren't as nice though. It is an amazing game, much bigger than HL2 in my opinion.

You can get some of the story from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life but I would highly recommend you donload and play HL1 now. You have no idea how much I'd like to play Half Life 1 again without knowing what happens already!!

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
mactastic said:
Heh... and here I was, ready to talk about radioactive decay. :D
Your not alone there, I was ready to read some science info too :p :)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
when you dont get a story of a game/tv show just look it up on wikipedia, chances are some geek has written about it and a hundred others have refined what he wrote into a decent explanation.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors 601
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
SuperSnake2012 said:
You're not alone mactastic. ;)
I was tempted to write a 'witty' reply about radioactive decay at first myself but I was determined to stop thinking physics for just a few hours in my break from revision!!

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Spanky Deluxe said:
I was tempted to write a 'witty' reply about radioactive decay at first myself but I was determined to stop thinking physics for just a few hours in my break from revision!!
Okay. My first temptation was to say it's what spammers and prolific posters on M.R. have.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
okay - I think I'll play HL 1. seems like there's a really good story there that I'm missing.

I only read the first few posts, I'm afraid of reading any more for the risk of spoiling the story. It may be a while, but I'll post back to this thread when I've finished HL 1. :D

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I tried out the HL 2 demo, but I had no idea what was going on either :(

I had HL 1 on my old Windows PC, but my video card wasn't good enough so it wasn't terribly enjoyable and I didn't play it for very long. So HL was the first thing I tried, and my CD is dead :(