Can someone please explain the "teather jailbreak" situation to me?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by macbrooke, Nov 19, 2009.

1. macbrooke macrumors regular

macbrooke

Hi

I posted earlier today about my new 3GS that was stuck in recovery after a failed jailbreak attempt.

I am concerned about Jailbreaking it again, but coming from a jailbroken 3G I am resentful that I have to live without my custom theme and backgrounder.

is there a definitive way to do this safely? can someone spell the ramifications out for me and the main difference between a 3g jailbreak and this new "tether JB"

I did try to read other posts but I'm a bit slow with this stuff.

I apologize to make anyone repeat the obvious. :eek:

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Your jailbreak may not have failed. You may have an iPhone with the new version of iBoot. After jailbreaking, such phones are unable to boot themselves because of a failed security check (the jailbroken firmware doesn't match what iBoot expects). If that is the case, you can get your phone booted by re-running blackra1n, which will bypass iBoot. This is what's called a tethered jailbreak, because any time you reboot your phone you will have to connect to a computer and re-run blackra1n. All your customizations will be intact, you phone will just have lost the ability to boot itself.

3. macbrooke thread starter macrumors regular

macbrooke

Thankyou! :D this most certainly describes what happened to me! it all makes sense now.

I had installed winterboard and it asked me to reboot.. so I did and then I got the recovery mode.

*sigh*

So basically I recovered for no reason :rolleyes: live and learn I guess.

I checked my serial number, I saw in another post in another thread after week 41 your almost surely tethered, my number was 42.

Could jailbreak be in "tether limbo" for a long time? or is a fix surely coming at some point?

4. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

At the current time, there is no "fix" as you put it known.