Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Hey guys. I'm sorry... I'm 18, and have every tech-gadget imaginable. But, I've never gotten a cellphone, because I've just never got around to it, really.

Anyways, I noticed none of the plans Apple released mention free roaming... will this be a problem?

I'm buying the iPhone here in Kansas City, where I live. But this fall, I'm moving two hours away to attend MU. I won't run into any problems, will I?

Will I be "roaming" on the drive on I-70 from here to there, and back?

Phitz

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2007
Roaming means you are out of your network and have to use another networks signal to get a call out. Most carriers charge extra unless you get a Nation Wide plan or something, but in this case you are safe to go deep in to Verizon territory and call Grandpa Augustus any time you want :D

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
Roaming is when you are using a cell tower that is not part of the AT&T/Cingular network. If you go somewhere where AT&T service is not available, then your phone will use whatever other GSM service may be available, and you will not be charged for this.

However, if you consistently use your phone in an area where there is no AT&T service, keep in mind that AT&T does have to pay that other company for your time. And so pretty soon AT&T will send you a letter saying that they need to cancel your service. Happened to a relative of mine who went to a school where there was no AT&T/Cingular.

Provided your new school has AT&T/Cingular service, you'll be fine.

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
Roaming means you are out of your network and have to use another networks signal to get a call out. Most carriers charge extra unless you get a Nation Wide plan or something, but in this case you are safe to go deep in to Verizon territory and call Grandpa Augustus any time you want :D

Not if you have a GSM phone, of course. GSM phones can't use Verizon's CDMA network.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
oh! it seems different over there. here in the UK roaming means using your phone in a different country via other operator's network.

BEASTMAN

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2005
I have this free with my sprint account, so it seems we will be charged for this on the iphone? Does anyone know how much att charges for this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.