Can someone please explain what I'm doing wrong with Migration Assistant?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dh2005, May 24, 2011.

1. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Hello folks,

Long story short:

I owned an iMac, agreed to sell it, bought an MBP, migrated everything from the iMac to the MBP, deleted everything from the iMac, aaaaaaaaaand... the sale of the iMac fell through.

So, now I have everything that used to be on the iMac on the MBP, and nothing on the iMac apart from OS X and iLife.

Is there any way to migrate what's on the MBP back to the iMac? I tried, and Migration Assistant threw an error about duplicated profiles... I'm pissed off because I deleted about fifty-quid's worth of App Store downloads from the iMac for no reason at all. According to the App Store, I now need to pay for them again...

... can anybody help?

Cheers,

DH,

2. dh2005 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awww, God! Now I'm really confused...!

Okay. Last night, I downloaded an app to the iMac from the App Store, and tried to migrate it across to the MBP. It didn't work - I didn't really expect it to - but now, I can't even buy that App for my MBP. The App Store thinks it's already installed.

Somebody, please, end my torment!

3. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

You should be able to download the same app from both "App stores" on each computer for FREE after you pay for them the first time. :rolleyes:

4. dh2005 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have paid for them. What are you suggesting?

5. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

On the App Store on iDevices, if you buy an app, and you restore the device, you can still download the app for free for 5 times(via iTunes Store on computer). This applies to the Mac App Store but im not sure how many times i you can re-download them

6. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Why are you downloading it on the iMac to transfer to the MBP? Didn't you already transfer everything to the MBP? If so, then it's already on the MBP. If not, why not just download it from the MBP?

Open up the Mac App Store and click on the Purchased button. It should show you a list of everything you've bought. If it's installed and showing as installed, it should be in your Applications folder. If it wont launch, drag the app from the Applications folder to your Trash bin and re-download it through the Mac App Store, from that Purchased window.

As for your original question of migrating back to the iMac; you can. You need to delete the existing profile you're trying to replace with an Admin account that isn't the profile you're trying to delete/replace. Then run Migration Assistant again and it shouldn't give you that error message.