Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
So I been away from the iphone for a few months. I had the iphone 4 but left right before the jb came out for it. So what is the current state of jb for the iphone, if I was to buy one again or even wait for the iphone 5? Tethered or untethered? Wth is a blob? lol. There isnt really a faq to read or is there? But any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
So I been away from the iphone for a few months. I had the iphone 4 but left right before the jb came out for it. So what is the current state of jb for the iphone, if I was to buy one again or even wait for the iphone 5? Tethered or untethered? Wth is a blob? lol. There isnt really a faq to read or is there? But any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Current Jailbreak for 4.2.1 is Tethered (using Redsn0w) and there is a Beta out that is currently untethered but required you to have access to the 4.2b3 IPSW and SHSH blobs.

You can read the following FAQ for more info on terminology:

Jailbreak FAQ and commonly use Terminology + Guides

The Official Tethered Jailbreak FAQ

huck500

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
Southern California
I heard the dev team has something in the works where even if you don't have your 4.1blobs saved, the new redsn0w will fetch them for you.

That's the most basic jist of it. Maybe someone more savy will care to expand.

The link below is where I read the story....

http://www.ijailbreak.com/cydia/the...to-the-ios-4-1-firmware-untethered-jailbreak/

It looks to me like that jb still requires 4.1 blobs, just not the 4.2b3 developer blobs.

However, the chronic dev team released a video of an untethered, jb'n phone that seems to only have the 4.2.1 blobs saved in Cydia. That was two days ago, so there may be a real untethered jb coming.

Check Redmond Pie and scroll down a bit.

Last edited:

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
Thanks guys, good start for me to read. As I said before I had the iphone 4 and didnt get a chance to jailbreak it so its been a while since I've jailbroken an iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.