Can someone PLEASE explain why Youtube stinks on my Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by d_saum, Jul 31, 2009.

1. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Ok, so.. I've searched, re-installed flash, rebooted, quit all other open programs, and yet Youtube (any flash based streaming video) still stinks and stutters on my unibody MBP with 4GB of ram! :confused: It plays fine for about 8 to 10 seconds, then stutters even if I allow the video to buffer all the way up. The most aggravating part of the whole thing is that I've just watched about 45 minutes worth of various videos on a relatives Acer Aspire one netbook with absolutely zero stutter/lag. :mad:

Anyone else experiencing this? Any solutions?

Oh.. also this happens on both safari, and firefox.

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

3. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Fixed that for ya...

(not that you were wrong, you understand:D)

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you taken a look at Activity Monitor to see what process hogs up the CPU and report back what process?

[​IMG]

It shouldn't stutter with a MacBook Pro, even my iBook G4 can play YouTube videos, albeit not the HD versions, without much stuttering.

5. Furi Kuri macrumors member

Yea, it definitely shouldn't be stuttering that much. I have a late 06' blackbook with 2 gbs of ram and I can play the hd videos on youtube without stuttering.

6. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

+1000, in fact I think to say it sucks is very kind. It's sadly about 10x as CPU hungry as the Windoze version.

You might have better luck with Flashblock, so that at least it's only got one Flash thread to worry about rather than all the various banner ads etc.

7. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

youtube HD Vids or not works perfectly fine on my 13"MBP only 2gb RAM dunno whats up wit yours...

8. jableskg macrumors regular

Regular YouTube videos play fine for me. Its the HD vids that i can't view without the stop/starts.. I thought it was my old wifi router so i bought a newer faster one, but that didn't help. Even tried plugging in direct which helped a little but still didn't stop the problem.

Any other possible suggestions?

9. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

You need a fast internet connection if you want to watch Youtube HD straight through with no buffering. I have DSL and I can watch Youtube HD, I just have to let the video load.

10. jableskg macrumors regular

I have DSL also. Is it time for me to switch to FIOS?

11. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

If you want, I mean, I wouldnt do it just to watch HD YouTube videos.

12. fritzov macrumors member

I also seem to have the same problem from time to time. I am also on a macbook pro with 4gig of ram.

Is there a solution to this problem. It is really annoying with you are on youtube and almost can't look at any videos.

13. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

I have the same problem with my iMac. I can watch a youtube video and it will play fine- then try and watch the same video again and will stop. Megavideo is even worse.

14. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

the only time mine stutters is if i elect HQ in the middle of a video, it usually just restarts though. works fine.

15. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I have a 13 mbp and the only problem with flash i have had is that it the plugin crashes in safari every once in a while. Have you tried using Firefox or Stainless?

16. mypetcow macrumors newbie

The trouble is that the Flash version for Mac, whether you like it or not is very resource hungry. What that means is that when you want to watch your HD video clips on Youtube, you'll probably experience miserable performance. What I suggest that you do is install AdBlock Plus as it will stop the flash-based ads on Youtube from slowing down the already poor performing flash player on your Mac. It worked for me and I have no more issues.
    You can grab it here for Safari and here for Firefox.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm not sure why everyone says flash is horrible on macs. Always works fine on the one in my sig...

18. BobZune macrumors 6502a

19. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

If you wait for the video to load and then play it it will work fine. Your internet connection is probably what is causing the problem.

20. d_saum thread starter macrumors 6502

d_saum

Did you even read what I wrote? :confused: I do let it buffer all the way up..

I HAVE found the solution though... and it's name is "Chrome". I haven't seen any stuttering since installing Chrome and actually like the browser better than both Firefox and Safari.

21. d_saum thread starter macrumors 6502

d_saum

Again.. I have to ask... did you even read the first sentence I wrote? :confused:

Problem solved though with Chrome.

22. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Yes, I did, and there is no need for that kind of attitude when people are trying to help you. The step #3 on the link I gave tells you to first UNINSTALL and then install the newer version (your "re-installed flash" doesn't mention anything about uninstall, and hence the link). Good that you have it working (months later) with Chrome. Perhaps this thread will help someone else.