Can Someone Please Help (JB/FW Version Question)?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Agent 21, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Agent 21 macrumors regular

Ok so it seems everytime I go to upgrade and re-JB I "just miss" the window and Apple already releases a new FW version before get to upgrade and re-JB and then I have to wait for JB tools for the new version and then I forget about it and then it's just a vicious circle lol.

Anyway, I'm just looking for a simple answer here, I have alaunch/day 3GS running FW 3.0 with the PurpleRa1n RC2 JB. And I have a PC with Windows XP Home and do NOT have access to a Mac, so do I have ANY options for upgrading FW and JBing? I'm on AT&T so I don't need an unlock (but preserving the ability to do so would be nice), I just REALLY need to restore and re-JB because my phone is having so many problems right now (it likes to reboot itself into safe mode everytime I install or update an app and safari crashes if I try to view PDFs, etc). I don't wanna give up SBSettings and my paid Cydia apps so I don't just want to upgrade and use the new iOS features (like backgrounding and such).

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Depends, are your SHSH blobs on file with Cydia?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, open up cydia and look at the top of the page to see if you have shsh's saved and for what firmware versions.

4. Agent 21 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have em saved. When Saurik first started offering that option I hadn't opened Cydia in over a month so by the time I DID 3.1 was already released and it asked if I wanted to save them for FW 3.1. Since I'm on 3.0 I didn't click yes because I don't have 3.1. I never clicked "no" though because I want to have them saved, but like I said before I keep missing the window to upgrade and re-jailbreak so I haven't been able to yet.

5. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Most likely you phone is pwned = accept unsigned code. Thus, with pwned iphones, the best option is create or find (google) a custom firmware and just restore with it through iTunes. Get one that saves your very stable 4.26 baseband. Although you currently don't need it, it might be valuable in the future, switch carriers, sell or give to someone. But, I would still suggest you wait until 4.1 JB is available so if anything goes wrong, you won't be left without a JB.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

OP, if you plan to keep that phone for any length of time, start the hashes saving process. Really makes no sense not to save your hashes.

This would all be a moot point had you taken a second or two to do this earlier.

7. Agent 21 thread starter macrumors regular

Not to be a jack***, but had you read my post you'd have seen that I didn't NOT save them due to lazyness, I COULDNT save them as by the time I knew that option even existed it was for 3.1 and I'm on 3.0 so I assumed I couldn't do it, and since I haven't upgraded to any newer FWs I haven't been able to do it at any other point.

I WANT them saved, but there's nothing I can do until I'm able to upgrade and re-JB.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Why not use TinyUmbrella like many others.
    Your phone does not need to be jailbroken or even activated.
    Saving of hashes thru TinyUmbrella has been an option for many months and frequently documented in these threads.
    That's how I began saving the hashes for my OOTB iPhone 4 the day I unpacked it (June 23rd I think) That's five weeks before I could jailbreak it.

Signed -->dhlizard (you're welcome)

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There's a few ways to start saving your shsh locally or on Cydia.
    A few clicks and a google search would have fix this a long time ago and you'd be able to restore now.

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Don't suppose after calling me a jack*** the OP will check back in here, do ya ?

Naw, I doubt it.

11. Agent 21 thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't call you a jack***, I said "not to be a jackass" as in I don't mean to sound like one with that statement. I was actually just coming to thank you cuz I saw your second, HELPFUL reply earlier but didn't have time to reply then.

I wasn't aware of the alternate methods, I just always assumed you couldn't store them once a new FW/iOS comes out because Apple doesn't sign old ones after a new one is released. Plus, I have mentioned numerous other times on this forum about NOT having them saved in Cydia and asking what I could do and nobody replied with those options so I assumed nothing.

Thanks for everyones help though. So the verdict is basically wait til 4.1 and it's JB?

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I only know one thing !

If I needed to save my hashes, I would never have made any assumptions !
    I would have read a couple of threads about SHSH, restoring and upgrading until I found the answer.

Fact is, TinyUmbrella is explained in every one of these type threads as it can
    Save hashes to Cydia
    Save hashes to your computer
    Restore an iPhone using hashes
    And kick an iPhone out of recovery mode

Reading and research is critical to stay jailbroken. And it works for me and most of the others here !
    Jailbroken now across 3G, 3GS and iPhone 4. Whatever issue you have, someone else has also had it. I have always been able to find an existing answer just as many others here. And being snarky to those helping you is never a good way to get help.

Good luck !

13. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

What is "Advice most often not taken at MacRumors.com iPhone Hacks forum." Alex?