Can someone please help me understand Windows upgrade versions?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by adamvk, Jun 19, 2010.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

Hello, I just have a question about how the Windows 7 upgrade works. I'm being offered Windows 7 Business Upgrade. I do really want to upgrade to Windows 7 from my current Windows XP. The problem is that I recently wiped my Windows drive on my Mac because it was virus-ridden. Do I have to install Windows XP to be able to upgrade to Windows 7 Business, or when I try to install Windows 7 will it just ask to insert my XP Install disc and ask for my license?

Thanks.

Also, should I get 32 or 64 bit?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Retail upgrade packages come with both versions, and can be "clean installed" following the guide here. http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp No need for XP install or media on hand.

If you are getting it through some other means than retail, your need for 64 or 32 will depend on what Mac you have and what you expect to do with your Windows license.

B

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

The easiest thing to do is to download a full disc image of a windows 7 professional disk and use your existing key with it to avoid doing a double upgrade install. The discs downloads can be found easily by searching the search engines.

Btw, do you have Vista or windows 7? Business edition is for vista, professional edition is for 7.

4. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ok. So your saying that if I have a Windows 7 upgrade disc, that's all I'll need? And I DO have to choose, I think that 64-bit will probably be better for me... I have a Macbook Pro with 4GB of ram, and I will mostly be using Windows for gaming, being that all of my work/productivity software runs on OSX.

Sorry, it would be Windows 7 Professional, not Windows 7 Business. :)

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes. The upgrade disc is all you need. You could find an ISO that could work like vistadude says, but your mileage may vary. The guide and one of the three options presented will always work.

Yes, you need to choose 32 or 64, and you seem to have already chosen 64 bit for valid reasons so go for it. I usually only recommend 32 bit for systems with < 4 GB or that will be used in a VM or where compatibility with older apps is the main reason for installing.

B