Can someone please let me know what correct permissions are for iTunes folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rawdawg, Jun 16, 2009.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

I just bought a brand new 17" MBP. Last night I moved my Music folder over to it. My music is on an external HDD but I needed the data files moved over.

This morning I made some last minute tweaks deleting some duplicate songs and some otherwise horrible albums I will never listen to again. Then I realized that means my data files have changed. Before I get my new MBP up and running I need to replace those data files I moved over last night.

Well this time for some reason my new MBP wouldn't let me replace any files in the iTunes folder. Oddly it DID allow me to trash the files I needed to replace but not write the new ones to that folder. Checking permissions ALL were set to read only...?...? First off, is this normal?!

I changed them to read & write and moved the newer files over. I then set permissions back to Read Only.

But was that correct? By default what should they be? I want to make sure I have the correct permissions.

thank you

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The Owner should be read/write. Others read-only.

3. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you

it appears because I manually had to drag my files over to my new MBP (instead of using migration assistant) once I moved a file out of the iTunes folder in my home directory it changed the permissions (since where I put it my Mac didn't realize is my new home directory)

Now it appears this happened to every file that I moved over. Pictures in my pictures folder, documents in my documents folder.

Can someone please advise the best route to fix this? I assume it would be correcting the permission at my root user folder than clicking "apply to enclosed items". Would this be correct?