Can someone please simply issues with retina scaling?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by busterbluth, Jun 17, 2012.

1. busterbluth macrumors 6502

I'm still waiting for RMBP, and I've been reading all these posts about the issues with scaling on the screen and I'm getting very confused with comments about graphic design and using images on non RMBP from a RMBP...

Can someone simplify this? I don't do any graphic design, I mostly surf the web and word, excel, and PowerPoint.

Will CNN.com look blurry? Will my old version of Microsoft office look blurry? Will they even be updated or does this mean I will have to buy the new version of office or go with apple pages.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. marddin macrumors 6502

I share your confusion, hopefully someone can explain in simpler terms.

3. pHeNom macrumors regular

Everybody needs to calm down and chill.

Apple withheld all information regarding the new retina display for the retina MBPs. It's been out for less than a week and it'll take developers a couple of weeks to come out with updates to support the higher resolution. From games to photoshop to video editing files.

If we lived in a perfect world where apple shares their updates with developers then this wouldn't be a problem at all. Sadly there is no such thing. So just wait it out til devs come out with updates to support the new display.

When the retina came out for the new iPhones not all apps supported it but as time passed by it did one by one. Same thing will happen for Mac programs so just CHILL!

4. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Actually Apple did share it in advance with Adobe and Autodesk—maybe more. Some devs that were thinking ahead, such as Panic, have already built in retina support for apps like Coda 2. Google quickly busted out a Canary release of Chrome including retina support. So hopefully it won't take ages!

Now as for retina-ready websites, I don't think it's a huge priority right now for most designers. I'm just now learning about how to do it. Most of us build our sites as a PSD first with a working space of around 960px wide. So we would have to remake all our PSD files with twice the resolution. Good thing Apple released this new machine as it will let us design 1:1 retina for The New iPad and the RMBP.

However there are a couple problems. The content (images) will need to be higher quality. So I don't think there will be any retroactive up scaling of old website content. Only new stuff going forward (though sometimes getting a quality image from a client for use on their website is nearly impossible!). So you end up with "the old web" showing low-res images, and the "new web" which is sharp as a tack. It may become readily apparent years from now if, say, an article you're looking at was pre-2013 or post-2013. Furthermore this adds in content complications. Most artists don't have a problem including small web versions of their work online because even if stolen they don't actually have the quality for anything to be made of them. But with retina we're talking about print (or near print) quality. So the images could be jacked and printed easily. How can we lock down images online? It's impossible right now.

Bottom line it will probably be a while before most websites are retina. And some may never be retina or take a decade to switch. But with Windoes 8 providing better retina support, combined with iPad popularity, we will hopefully see it sooner rather than later. I predict most pro apps will be updated within a few months. Good devs that care will have it in 3-6 months. Most apps that are updated every once in a while will have it in 12-18 months.

As for web retina timelines, I think most tech sites and pro portfolio sites will be the first retina ones to roll out. I think we've seen some of this happen with the retina iPad. So give it a couple months for that. Next major companies like Target, Best Buy, Amazon, etc will probably begin support within 6-12 months. Then smaller business sites that care somewhat about design 12-24 months. 2-4 years out most ordinary sites that don't care much will probably go retina simply as a result of the redesign cycle. So whenever they redesign they'll just happen to get it as most packages will probably offer it standard—especially as retina displays start pushing into the 20-30% marketshare range. I'm talking about PCs, generic tablets, iPads and Macs.You don't want your online store to look like garbage to part of your customers for two reasons: your competitor has a beautiful retina site, and the early retina users probably have more income to spend at your store!

This is quite the complex, multi-faceted issue. I hope it doesn't get botched somehow. But Apple is really pushing the industry forward. It's usually inevitable that the industry will push back for a while. We've seen it with many things, such as Flash. Now even Adobe seems to be moving on, and I don't know any designers (or have had any clients inquire about) making Flash websites.

5. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I'm very much looking forward to my rMBP. But I think the original experience will be touch and go. Depending on which applications you live in, it could be rough going to begin with. Pages and Word, for example, are pixel doubled according to my test drive at the Apple Store. Even their text is rendered all jaggy. I bet there's an iWork update within days or weeks. What guarantee do we have that Microsoft will leap to the task of updating Office to look pretty on the Retina display? Could be months.

Or is it possible that Mountain Lion will do a better job smoothing out non-updated applications without wrecking contrast?

6. ladeer macrumors 6502

Does anyone know what desktop sharing in WebEx would look like? When let's say someone w/ 1680x1050 screen share with people w/ smaller screen, everything looks tiny. I wonder if I am using just 1440x900, will WebEx translate that into 2880x1800, or just 1440x900 when shared.