can someone please verify....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RMferrer, Mar 10, 2008.

1. RMferrer macrumors member

tomorrow i'll be selling my 8gb iphone(don't worry i'm getting another soon:p). The guy wants to give me his AT&T Tilt+cash for my iphone. but before i do i have some questions. BTW his tilt is modded with the HTC software and has that cool Touchflo Cube, kinda like the iphone but not exactly.

1.)correct me if i'm wrong but if we swap SIM cards both phones should work normally correct? So i would be using my Iphone SIM card in his tilt and he would use his Tilt SIM card in the iphone. They should be compatible.

2.) how do i restore everything back to factory settings?

3.)if we can not swap SIM cards how should we proceed with the transaction. Should i cancel my iphone service and activate the tilt. Because if i don't cancel the iphone contract will still be under my name, would this be considered an early termination?

any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

First of all, the iPhone doesn't have an SD card, it has a SIM card. With that said, I would give him the iPhone without your SIM card in it and do a restore of the unit prior to selling it. The restore can be done through iTunes very easy.

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

As long as you don't cancel your service with AT&T, you'll be fine. The two year contract you agree to when you activate the iPhone isn't exclusive to the phone itself. You can take your SIM out and use it with any data capable phone. And if you don't want to use data (which I'm sure you do with the Tilt, but just saying) you can cancel the iPhone data plan and continue on with a normal voice package.

4. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

5. RMferrer thread starter macrumors member

ahhh...good eye, yah i meant SIM..lol

6. RMferrer thread starter macrumors member

hmmm...i dunno i've heard of ppl using SIM cards from other phones, not even from smart phones and have said that the iphone will still work.

can someone clarify this.

7. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

The only way a non-iPhone SIM will work in the iPhone is if the iPhone is unlocked.

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

FACT. You can take the SIM out of an iPhone and use it with any other phone but it's only a one way thing.

9. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

yep what you say is true.

10. RMferrer thread starter macrumors member

so the guy I'm trading with won't be able to activate it at all?

11. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

He can take it to ATT and ask for a SIM card. The phone is already activated if you are using it. He just needs it put on his own number/account. ATT should be able to do this. Not sure if they can supply SIM cards that work in iPhones but I would think so.

12. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

i'm using the sim card from my previous phone with at&t with my iphone.

while activating through itunes, itunes told me to pop out the sim and put in my old one.... maybe its a corporate-only thing, but its worth a shot.