Can someone provoke an unexpected quit on Safari remotely?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by intrepido, Dec 9, 2008.

1. intrepido macrumors newbie

Hey all, I'm new to this forum!

I have a question, and it's something that got me a little paranoid.

This morning I was browsing YouTube and I found a video about 9/11 being a conspiracy or whatever.

As I was watching this my browser just quit out of nowhere. I restarted Safari and the video started playing again and it quit unexpectedly again.

Can someone provoke Safari to quit unexpedectly remotely? Is it even possible? A trojan of some sort?

Thanks!

2. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Its just a coincidence. The Illuminati haven't attacked your computer.

3. intrepido thread starter macrumors newbie

Hahahaha! Thats what I was thinking lol I was like "dude is this the government trying to keep me from watching this video? hahaha

So there is no way of someone provoking an unexpected quit on Safari remotely, right?

:)

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Security flaws can exist which haven't been fixed/discovered yet. These flaws can expose the browser to such an attack

For example (from here).

So yes it is entirely possible that someone might cause Safari to crash remotely.

But the chances for that being the case in this instance (and not widely reported) is very very very very low.

Of course there are other bugs in Safari which can cause crashes as well.

I have had crashes on Safari with youtube before. I've had crashes with lots of different websites with each and every browsers.

5. intrepido thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, but my question would be if this scenario was possible:

1. Someone is watching what im doing at the same time im doing it with some remote control software I'm not aware is installed on my mac. They see Im on Youtube and watching the 9/11 video and they decide to shut it down so they provoke my machine to have an unexpected quit.

Thats the scenario Im talking about lol

Possible or not?

6. jeffmc macrumors 6502

7. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

It's possible..and yet unlikely...

8. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Most likely just having problems with the flash videos/code on the page. When mine crashes it isn't just playing, it's mainly seeking in a flash video. If I try to move to another point in certain videos, Safari will crash.

Rarely does the video pause, then crash on me when just playing from start to finish, but it has happened a couple of times.