Can someone recommed a cheap USB mic?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by I Need a Drink, Jan 20, 2015.

1. I Need a Drink macrumors regular

Just bought a Mac Mini and I need an inexpensive USB Mic or Webcam ($20-$30) to use with it. Any recommendations?

2. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

3. gpspad macrumors 6502

I would be interested in just a plain old usb mic also. I'm trying to give them a way to record audio and do FaceTime voice.

I bought a Logitech camera for my parents mac, it worked fine, but the audio was awful. Reviews on Amazon.com suggested adding an external microphone because the audio was so bad.

I considered getting an old iSight camera, but not sure my parents want a big camera sticking out of there sleek setup. I figured a small usb mic would work until I fnd a deal on a used cinema dispay.

4. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

Can You Purchase a Quality USB Mic Under $100?

Some might say that you don't have a snowball's chance in a really hot place of finding a decent low priced USB mic. Some could be wrong.

This model costs more than $30 but it is worth it.
    The Blue Snowball is a full featured microphone for much less than $100. Don't purchase the Ice variation of this popular mic unless you understand that you are getting less features and different accessories. http://www.bluemic.com/snowball_iCE/#/compare/

Plenty of Snowball mics are listed on Amazon.

Attached Files:

5. QWERTYMac7 macrumors regular

There is also the Blue Snowflake - - - slightly less than the Snowball.

Blue makes fantastic microphones, I have a Yeti and it's wonderful.

Good luck!

6. gpspad macrumors 6502

Im not sure the original poster requirements, but in my case thats just a little too big.

I was looking for something small and seemless for my parents that isn't going to look like a recording studio. I just need something that will give the basic functions of microphone.

In hindsight an apple monitor costs more, but considering the speakers, mic, insight camera, and usb port it isn't so bad. Im on the look out for a good used 24" apple cinema display.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

gp wrote above:
    [[ I would be interested in just a plain old usb mic also. I'm trying to give them a way to record audio and do FaceTime voice. ]]

There are some halfway-decent USB mics out there, including some VERY nice ones by Apogee...