Can someone recommend a good podcasting software package?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Osprey, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Osprey macrumors 6502

I am going to have my 6th grade students start podcasting. I want a setup that includes the software, microphone, etc. I have been looking at the Behringer Podcastudio USB Podcast Package or the M-Audio Podcast Factory. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Or can you recommend other alternatives. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

2. Ghost Horses macrumors newbie

Not sure if you have a Comp USA near you or not. I saw a program in there w/ a audio interface, mic and software. Can't remember the name of it though. It was cheap too because they are going out of business. If you do have a Comp USA near by check it out. I think they are all going out of business, not sure. M-Audio Podcast Factory should be good. I have a M-Audio interface and I have no complaints. I also do podcasting. I use Garage Band for recording mine.

If you would like to check out my show feel free:
    http://www.myooch.com/marcpeterson2012/src?microsite=show&ch_id=368&desc=all

Leave a comment, good or bad. Doesn't matter. I need reviews! :p

3. Osprey thread starter macrumors 6502

I like the music and I did leave a comment. Can't wait to hear the vocals. Which M-Audio interface do you have. I would love to use GarageBand to record our podcast, but our school district says no way can we buy anything other than a PC. Maybe I would be better off buying a firewire audio interface and microphone. I guess we could use audacity, but do I need special software to post the podcast? Thanks again and keep creating.

4. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

If you cannot use GarageBand, then Audacity is the way to go. When you save the mp3 file then uploading is a doddle.

5. Osprey thread starter macrumors 6502

So no special software to upload? As you can tell, I am just beginning this adventure. I wrote a grant and are purchasing a classroom set of iPods for the students to use. I am much more video oriented rather than audio. The kids are already making their own movies that we will be downloading onto the iPods. Thanks for you response. I guess that I am feeling a little overwhelmed at this point.

6. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

No special software needed - you choose a site for hosting (someone else will suggest some) and then upload file - as simple as that :)

If you are a teacher, I suggest http://www.wikispaces.com (special free option for educators), or http://www.edublogs.org

7. Osprey thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help riscy and the sites. Either of these will work and we are anxious to get started.

8. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

PM me if you need further info - the free option on wikspaces is not easy to find on the site (saves you $50 per year and is ad-free)

9. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

do check out ardour. which is free. it's highly complex, but if you can use it, you can use anything.www.ardour.org

10. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Yep. Audacity or Garageband.

I must say that since you're a teacher, Audacity would be more useful for the students as there are both PC, Mac and Linux versions (So all of them can go home and use it if they want to, no matter what operating system they have) and that it is like some of the more professional software (I went to work at a radio station for my work experience and they use this system that uses an audacity-like editor. I can't remember what it was called but it was part of a full radio broadcasting suite, so I wouldn't recommend it anyway).

Garageband is more intended for recording music - not putting together audio. However, if you're planning on using samples and adding sound effects, Garageband will be better for doing that as you use a drag and drop interface... but I advise Audacity for audio editing too as you can normalize audio, remove background hums and so forth.

Audacity: http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/

I recommend you use Audacity for actually recording the audio, then import into Garageband for mixing effects in and putting in other parts of the show, etc.
    That's how I do it (Although I record over the web so I have a few extra bits to do - but cutting out those bits, that's what I do).

If you have any questions, please ask :)

I hope this works out for you - and on a plus side, both Audacity and Garageband are free (well, technically Garageband is free but you've got to own a Mac) so you won't go over any budgets assuming you're using Macs anyway :) If you're using Windows (Although it's unlikely considering you're posting here) then I'm sure we could point you in the direction of some software... after all, there are some pretty experienced people here!

11. Osprey thread starter macrumors 6502

Alas, I use Macs at home, but can't convince my school district to let me purchase even one mac for work. Even though the money spent would be grant money, our district contends they don not want to provide technical support. I even told them that I would buy Applecare for tech support, but no go. I could edit at home, but I really want the students to do most of the editing because I want them to learn as much as possible. We are waiting for the iPods to arrive, along with some of the other items that were ordered from Apple. If I were to buy a firewire audio interface, is there one on the market that won't break the bank. Also if I purchase an audio interface, what kind of microphone would work best? My students perform puppet shows and plays so I bought a Fender Passport, without it, no one could hear the dialogue and it was absolutely impossible when videotaping. It came with a regular wired mic, but it seems to have pretty good sound.