can someone recommend a top quality 2TB internal HD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rassoodock, Apr 5, 2012.

1. rassoodock macrumors member

I just had a Seagate 3TB internal drive refuse to come up after a restart and all signs point to it being dead.

I am thinking that, perhaps, 3TB is just a bit too unstable when I need a reliable drive. I've decided to go with a couple of 2TB in my MacPro 2.66 dual-core running 10.6.8.

Can someone recommend a top quality 2TB internal HD? I've heard that Enterprise drives are expensive, but well worth the money. Is there any truth to that? I really need a drive with a great track record for reliability and I trust the people in these forums.

Any suggestions or advice most appreciated. Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

All platter-based hard drives are the same in terms of reliability. Buy the one with the best warranty that fits your budget.

3. lc25 macrumors 6502

Seagate and WD Caviars are pretty good and come with a decent warranty.

4. h4ck macrumors regular

as previously mentioned, drive size has nothing to do with reliability.

and with all due respect, i wouldn't trust the people in a macintosh rumor forum for hardware reliability questions. i'd check over at anandtech for that type of thing.

5. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

LOL @ this... nice. :) IMHO (as a tech guy of MANY years and a Mac guy of a few), I have always purchased and always had great luck with Western Digital. Personally, I like the Caviar Blue drives; sure, the Black drives are a bit faster, but they're also noisier. The Blues are a great compromise with 95%+ of the performance still there. I have 5 WD drives between my home (PC) desktop and my Home Server - 2 Caviar Blue desktop drives, 2 Caviar Green desktop drives, and one Scorpio Blue drive that I use as a small boot drive for my server. All have been completely reliable; the youngest is a year and a half old, too. For wit, I also have 1 Seagate (the boot drive in my desktop) that has been completely trouble-free, too.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. Hirakata macrumors 6502

Hirakata

I've only ever had two HDDs die on me and they were both Seagate. The first time I tried to get a replacement because of the warranty, but Seagate told me that because I bought the drive through a third party (installed in a SCSI Raid enclosure back in the day) that it wasn't covered and I was pretty much SOL. The second time I didn't even bother contacting them. Needless to say I NEVER buy Seagate anymore, regardless of the price. I've never had a problem with WD, Hitachi, IBM, Fujitsu, Maxtor...

Just my personal experience.

8. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I bought 6 2TB Samsung Ecogreen F4 drives a year ago that are all running just fine. But they all seem about the same to me. And only large installations that buy many different drives would (or maybe might) have the answer.

In any case, have a good backup strategy!

9. h4ck macrumors regular

precisely my point:

OWC doesn't manufacture hard drives.

10. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

+1 for HDD sold by OWC.

Hitachi and Western Digital are respectable.

11. h4ck macrumors regular

i've had good luck with WD myself as well..but on the other hand, i can't say i've seen any brand fail more or less than another, in 10 years as an apple IT consultant/technician, doing hardware repairs on easily ~2,000+ machines.

----------

this is like saying "YEAH MAN I TOTALLY LOVE CARS SOLD BY JIMS CAR SALES THERE* GREAT"

jim's car sales sells foreign and domestic, every make and model. how does this help anything? so...was your experience with a honda good? or the chevy? or the ford? or the nissan? it says nothing about what manufacturers are found reliable just because an online retailer.....sells something.

*this was deliberate, to imply HURR DURRness.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I didn't say they did. Brand doesn't make much difference these days.

13. h4ck macrumors regular

so then what was your point? the question OP asked was "what brand hard drive do you recommend" not "where is a good place to buy a hard drive."

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read it again. That was not the question:
    There was no mention of brand. OWC is a good place to buy many top quality 2TB internal HDs, regardless of brand.

You answer the way you choose, and I'll answer the way I choose. The OP can decide what recommendations they choose to follow, if any.

15. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

16. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Thanks for the link. I will definitely consider one of this.
    Do you know of any good Thunderbolt external enclosure out there?

17. h4ck, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

h4ck macrumors regular

i don't even need to say this, but you can infer what OP was asking pretty simply by the fact that he mentioned in the first line that he had a seagate that died. he then went on to posture "Can someone recommend a top quality 2TB internal HD" not "Can someone recommend a place to buy top quality 2TB internal HD."

you can go to a car dealership and buy any and every make an model, none of which would be an indication of drive quality.

this isn't that difficult.

----------

so far i think there is only one enclosure that's actually out, and it's hella expensive.

the Pegasus RAID by Promise.

http://www.promise.com/storage/raid_series.aspx?m=192&region=en-global&rsn1=40&rsn3=47

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Any drive sold by OWC would be of good quality. If you don't want to buy from OWC, don't. It's a valid recommendation, and it wasn't for your benefit, but for the OP. Leave it alone. If you don't like what other people post, add them to your ignore list, so you don't have to go through the pain and suffering of reading posts you disagree with. :rolleyes:

19. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

No hard drive is going to require a thunderbolt connection. If you really want to get the most speed though you can get a ESATA enclosure and connect that to the new LaCie thunderbolt and ESATA hub. Connect up to two ESATA drives for max performance and connect those devices to your computer using thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is really expensive and you would only see benefits if you were using SSDs.

There should be a link from either Thursday or Friday on the front page on the press release.