Can someone settle a VM question for me

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dorfdad, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

Im looking to get either Fusion or VMWare based on this one simply feature alone, but ive not read anything about it.

I want to be able to bootcamp boot my iMac into XP and use it for games, but I do have some applications I wan't to use at times that I do not want to REBOOT into XP for. So I would like to know if either of these Virtual Machines will allow me to bootcamp AND virtual boot from OSX?

I know fusion had an import from bootcamp, but once imported your stuck booting from within OSX.

Im looking to boot from both at different times. Is this possible!?

2. dimme macrumors 65816

From VMware you can boot your boot camp partition.

3. Dorfdad thread starter macrumors 6502

Both ways? So on money I can use the VMware partition and tuesday boot from the bootcamp partition!?

4. Queso macrumors G4

VMWare allows you to boot from your BootCamp partition within a Virtual Machine in exactly the way you're describing. The only difference between that and a more usual virtual machine is that the VM cannot be suspended. You have to shut it down when you close the VMWare program.

This is so that the guest Windows OS is ready for when you want to reboot your Mac and run it natively.

5. Dorfdad thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you looks like VMware is my choice!