Can Someone Shed some light on DNS for me?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GimmeSlack12, Aug 24, 2007.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ok, so I have a pretty competent level of understanding regarding networking and setup of wireless routers and whatnot. But DNS continues to elude my understanding.

Do I need to have a DNS address? Or is there a quick 192.168.1.x address I can throw in to make my router/network happy? At the moment I am fighting with a PC on my network that won't place nice with a static local IP (can't access the web because of the DNS address).

I'm still confused on what importance the DNS address plays in the scheme of networking. Any explanations would be well appreciated.

Slack12.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

DNS stands for Domain Name System. What it does is make sure your internet requests go to the right place. It's like a phone book, so when you type bbc.co.uk into your browser the DNS server points you to the appropriate server (in this case the BBC).

EVery ISP usually has their own default DNS server which you will use if you leave your DNS entry blank, however you can override that by specifying a particular DNS server that you'd like to use.

3. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Then why does Windows messup when I don't put a DNS address in when using a static local IP (IPv4 I think). Macs are fine with no DNS address and static IP's. Lame.

Good, quick, description Swift. Thanks.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Not sure, but if you need to put something in there, try using one of the OpenDNS servers

5. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I have done this just seconds before reading your post. I will deal with the PC box later. I'm being paid to organize my friends iTunes library and was doing it via VNC. But I lost the connection, oh well.

6. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

Getting paid to organize iTunes?!? Where do I sign up?

7. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

Chances are once you put the static IP address in, the "Obtain DNS server address automatically" setting changed to where you have to put it in manually. You just have to go back into your network settings for that network interface and change the DNS portion back to automatic.

8. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I wish I could. That option is greyed out. I won't be able to give it a shot until I'm back home tonight at which point it isn't a huge issue. Once I get the Library sorted I won't need a static IP anymore. This was just so I could mess with the Library on my laptop while watching TV and not have to be up in his messy-ass room.

Yeah and getting paid to clean up an iTunes library is pretty sweet, howdoyoulikemenow.