Can someone steal my info/use my cellular internet service?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by armd123, Mar 23, 2009.

1. armd123 macrumors newbie

I ordered an unlocked/jailbroken iphone on ebay so that I could avoid getting a data plan and just use wifi. I heard that someone at Rogers said that it is possible that a person could hack into my iphone and not only steal my info, but also use my cellphone internet connection and rack up charges that I would have to pay for.

Is this possible? Would anyone actually do this? Is there a way I could protect my iphone so that this doesn't happen?

Also, this is my first post. Should I have put this in an existing forum?

2. Macjames macrumors 6502a

3. armd123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Now that I know it's called 'mobile hacking' (thanks ^) I've found out that it can be done through bluetooth (so you can just turn bluetooth off) and by wifi. According to:

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/consumerelectronicsnetworks/qt/iphone-predam.htm

if someone names a network the same thing as a network I commonly use and have agreed to join (like at a coffee shop or my home network) then the iphone will automatically join this network without asking me to verify this and the person could 'mobile hack' me. I could keep my wifi off most of the time, but wouldn't this be a problem when I am using wifi?

4. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I'm not sure that just naming it the same would work, I'm sure the iPhone would look at the router settings as well.