Can someone suggest a display for my macbook alum?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iwantmymacnow, Feb 13, 2009.

1. iwantmymacnow macrumors newbie

I've had my aluminum macbook 2.4ghz since december and I'm loving it. I'm about to start architecture school and want to get an external display. I'm really concerned after reading countless threads about displays not working with the new macbooks. I really don't want to spend money on one which isn't going to work! Can anyone suggest one that works fine with a 2.4ghz alum macbook? I'll mostly be using it for bootcamp for CAD. I was thinking maybe a dell. I'd like to spend under $400 (australian dollars). Thanks!!

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I have never and will never own a Dell computer or notebook. I hate to even work on them. However, Dell makes an excellent monitor. If I were in market for one, I'd go for the Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP. Not sure what the local prices would be. Good luck shopping -GDF

3. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

i also think a dell is good. they've consistently held their own against the Apple Cinema Displays. I don't know if the dell models have a "display port" but i guess that's what the adapters are for.

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

No they don't, but that's why you get the appropriate adapter.

5. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I have an HP monitor that I use with my MacBook and so far it's been pretty good. It's the HPw1907, nothing huge but it's pretty decent for my needs which is mainly e-mail, internet surfing and word processing. :)

6. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

i got my 2408wfp from dell the other day. its a brilliant monitor. The advantages of the PVA panel technology are huge.

only con is it makes the macbook screen look pathetic!

7. danny_w macrumors 601

The newest Dell monitors do have DisplayPort, but not the Apple "mini" version.

8. danny_w macrumors 601

I have a Gateway FHD2400 that I used with my Macbook before I sold it (The MB that is). Although it is a TN panel, it is a darn good one (much better than the 20" iMac with no sign of blue tint at an angle). And it has every connector on it you could ever hope for (except miniDP) to boot, making use with consoles or other computers a snap.

9. iwantmymacnow thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the suggestions. just one thing - i've read external displays don't work with bootcamp. true? i hope not!!

10. danny_w macrumors 601

Where did you get that about Bootcamp? I had a Macbook (GMA950) with an external display and XP. When I first installed it the external didn't work, but I downloaded the latest GMA950 driver and then it worked, although it intermittently would not "see" the external and I would have to reboot to get it back. I think this problem was more due to the display driver than anything.