Can someone tell me the "last modified" date for their "sleepimage" file?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Gary King, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Gary King macrumors 6502

I've had problems sleeping my Mac since upgrading to Mavericks. It wakes up every hour after I sleep it. I just noticed that the /var/vm/sleepimage file has last been modified on Oct. 23, the same day that I upgraded to Mavericks. I suspect that for some reason, when I sleep my Mac, it doesn't write to the file anymore, so my Mac never really sleeps.

So, could someone with Mavericks and who either sleeps their Mac regularly or who is willing to sleep it now (then wake it back up immediately), please go to the Finder, then select "Go -> Go to Folder" and type "/var/vm", then tell me the "Date modified" for the "sleepimage" file that should be in there? Is it a recent day like today or yesterday, or is it also the date that you upgraded your Mac to Mavericks?

This would help a ton! Thanks in advance!

2. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

Timestamp on mine is 10:15am today, which is when I opened it to start work.

3. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Suggest you look at your console logs, it will likely tell you everything you need to know (and then some).

The last modified time for my sleep image file is when I woke it up this morning.

4. Gary King, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

Weird, I just set another Mac with Mavericks I had to sleep, then woke it up a few seconds later (after the power light started pulsing) and no sleepimage file was created.

I'm looking through the Console now, and also using Terminal with pmset, but am trying to figure out how to read it.

----------

Okay so I realized that I now have to disable "File sharing" to let my Mac sleep. I didn't have to do that before Mavericks! Really frustrating. I hope this is just a bug rather than a feature.

5. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Laptops and desktops are set up differently as they come from Apple. For some reason Apple doesn't like desktops to create sleepimage files, but you can configure it to do so, at your own risk. Apple suggests not doing it.

Also, if laptops are connected to power they may not create sleepimage files either.

I see your edit about filesharing - in the past Mac OS X has not wanted computers that are sharing files (e.g., files are open) to sleep, for obvious reasons. If they've extended that to just having file sharing enabled, that would be interesting.

6. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay fair enough. However though, on a different note as mentioned in the post above, I didn't have to disable "File sharing" before Mavericks in order to sleep my Mac, but for some reason I have to do that now. Really frustrating. I have all options on "Energy Saver" unchecked already, including "Wake for network access".

7. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

'Tis true that Apple doesn't really share specifics about what's new, what's changed and what's no longer there.

I've been frustrated by this for years, given up on them changing their ways.

From their point of view, it's horribly expensive to do and would really only please a tiny fraction of their buying audience. Plus it goes against the "it just works" mantra.