Can someone tell me which process is draining my battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by michaelfields, Feb 3, 2012.

1. michaelfields macrumors regular

I downloaded System Status and I'm looking at processes trying to figure out which one is draining my battery. If someone could tell me which one it is and how to end a process I would be stoked.

I'm trying to avoid doing full restore again.

The only app I have running is System Status and these are the processes it shows.

Mobile User Processes:

System Status
    notification_pro
    afcd
    atc
    afcd
    MobilePhone
    MobileMail
    aosnotifyd
    BTServer
    aggregated
    apsd
    dataaccessd
    fairplayd.N90
    iapd
    imagent
    mediaremoted
    ubd
    SpringBoard

Root User Processes:

keybagd
    networkd
    fseventsd
    wifid
    locationd
    powerd
    lockdownd
    syslogd
    configd
    notifyd
    UserEventAgent
    launchd
    kernel_task

_mdnsresponder user processes:

mDNSResponder

_wireless user processes:

awd_ice3
    awdd
    CommCenterClassi

If anyone can help at all I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

awd_ice3 is the CarrierIQ process and it should not be active. What firmware version is your iPhone running and what carrier do you have? Have you tried connecting your iPhone up the the Instruments app from XCode and seeing what's running?

3. michaelfields thread starter macrumors regular

What is the CarrierIQ process? I'm on 5.0.1 iPhone 4. I've always had great battery life, 5.0.1 lowered it slightly but not too much. Now all of a sudden it's terrible. I've barely used my phone at all today because I was at work and my battery is at 19%

How do I see what is running in XCode? I've never used it before. Should I already have it on a MacBook Pro?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Google "CarrierIQ". XCode is not installed by default on Mac OS X. You'll have to download it from the Mac App Store. The Instruments app in the /Developer/Applications. You may have to first tell XCode to "Use your device for development" before it shows up in XCode. Google is an important resource in solving how to do most of these things.

5. michaelfields thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that's what I usually use for troubleshooting problems but I don't understand any of the processes. I'll definitely do that now and see if that fixes it. Is that the only thing that seems off out of those processes?

6. michaelfields thread starter macrumors regular

Okay so I ran the Activity Monitor in Instruments in xcode but I don't really know where to go from here, how to end a process, or what any of the processes even are. Google isn't doing much for me because I don't really know what to look for.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

In Instruments, press the record button. Then in the window that opens, you can sort the process by CPU usage to see which is using the most. If you don't know what a certain process it, Google it. You can't kill process from Instruments.

8. michaelfields thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

That's what I did. I just don't know how to kill the process. All google tells me is the same thing someone just told someone in another post on here "double tap home and hit the x" which isn't going to do the trick in this case.

If only I had found out about the process killer app earlier instead of two days after it was removed from the app store.

9. michaelfields thread starter macrumors regular

Also all I'm getting from google is other people asking the same questions about what these processes are. Here's a screenshot of what's running [​IMG]

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Sort it by CPU%, not CPU Time. DTMobileIS is the Instruments process on your iPhone and is only running when Instruments is recording.

11. michaelfields thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yeah I did that as well and it was the same. That's the only thing showing any activity but my battery still drains super quick?

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Then, as per Apple, nothing is wrong with your iPhone.