Can someone tell me why when I burned from idvd, the quality sucks?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by janeyhayes, Jul 24, 2007.

1. janeyhayes macrumors newbie

janeyhayes

I have created quicktime files from Apple Motion and FCP5 and inserted them into iDVD...all the quicktime files look great in Quicktime and everything looks good in iDVD...
    however, then I rendered it and burned it to DVD and everything looks blurry, even the text buttons created in iDVD...
    Please, someone help me...I am so frustrated now and have no idea what I did wrong...:(

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

MPEG-2 format, which is the format your videos are transcoded to for the DVD, is a very finicky format to compress to, and as a result often results in a rather large amount of quality loss. Unfortunately, you will have to accept a lower level of quality when putting anything on to a DVD.

If you're up to it, you could read up on MPEG-2 compression techniques and use Compressor with DVD Studio Pro to get potentially better results.

3. JackRipper macrumors regular

Could just be the difference in sharpness between your monitor and your TV. Especially if it's not a HDTV. Computer monitors (even CRTs) are typically more sharp, and are permanently set that way at the factory, than your typical TV default.

I would try cranking up the sharpness setting on your TV, that should help a great deal, if it's not already. Unless you use an off air antenna for your TV, you will probably want to keep it sharp as it really shows off the quality, especially with DVDs.

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

Did you make sure when you burned, you set the DVD for "best quality" instead of "best perfvormance" in the settings?

Also, when you export as quicktime files, are you creating a reference movie, or doing a full export?

Call it voodoo, but I always make a full movie if I'm putting content into iDVD. It shouldn't matter, but I have had weird things happen when I didn't.