Can Someone Translate/Simplify this Please? (Office Fix)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MOKHAN, Sep 27, 2011.

1. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

Basically, I have 2 drives in my MBP (SSD w/ apps&boot and HDD w/ data), Office doesn't let me save documents to the HDD and gives the error "word cannot save this document due to a naming or permissions error"

This is the fix, but I don't quite understand what to do

Saving Word Documents (New or Existing)

The new version of Word has a problem when saving documents to network folders. Users with network home directories have a problem with Save or Autosave from Word 2004 11.2 (Office Service Pack 2) on OSX 10.4.2, and see an error message saying "Word cannot save this document due to a naming or permissions error on the destination volume." The first attempt to save succeeds; subsequent attempts to save, or autosave, will fail with the above error message.

The fault occurs unless a folder called .TemporaryItems has been created at the root level of any mounted volume containing the saved file; so if the user's home directory is contained in an AFP share called "Homes", there has to be a directory called .TemporaryItems in the Homes folder on the server. If the home directory is on another local volume called UserData, there has to be a directory called .TemporaryItems at the root of that volume.

Since .TemporaryItems is a dot file, it will not be visible in the Finder. When the application is able to create this .TemporaryItems directory, it is world writable and sticky. For improved security, as long as all users are in a common group like "staff", then the folder can be restricted to writing by the group instead.

cd /path/to/volume/or/sharepoint
    sudo mkdir .TemporaryItems
    chgrp staff .TemporaryItems
    chmod 1770 .TemporaryItems

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I am not sure if this is the exact same issue, but when I had changed the name on my main drive to My_Name HDD, office looked for the default name when installed and it wouldn't allow me to save anything. I renamed the drive back to the original and all write issues disappeared. Same thing happened on my mini server. Coincidence?? I am not sure, but changing the drive name back fixed it. Since you have two drives installed, you have changed things in your system from the default and this might be the issue you are experiencing???

I originally thought my issue was permission related as well (due to the naming reference and such), but found this not to be the case.