Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elemenohme

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2014
Well the latest update to the Strava app fixes the Health app integration. But that data doesn't seem to get picked up by the Activity app, so I don't get credit for bike rides.

Do you have to log bike rides in the Workout app in order to get them to appear in Activity?

(This is all way too cumbersome, I may just give up on using the watch for activity tracking altogether!)

bjdraw

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2008
Tampa FL
I'm coming to the same conclusion when it comes to cycling, at least.

It just doesn't have what it takes to replace a dedicated cycling computer. Doesn't take away from it's ability to track daily activity.

SoCalAppleWatch

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2015
Ok went on a long ride with Strava yesterday.

Strava does not currently recognise the HRM from the apple watch which is a bit of a pain in the ass. I hope this changes or eventually learns to take the HRM from HealthKit.

My setup for the ride was to start an open outdoor cycle in the workout app, the switch to strava glance and set my strava recording.

Strava app is a little buggy and lags a little starting and stopping and sometimes doesn't load if you haven't preloaded the app on your iPhone (says you need to login) I am sure these are bugs that will be ironed out. Once you are riding this is fine and a quick glance at your watch gives you your time and average speed. I didn't notice any segment haptic feedbacks, i imagine it would be hard to notice unless the tapping was hard and numerous.
(After my main ride I decided to go for another mile to a friends set strava recording via the glance and once i got to my destination the app wasn't actually recording anything! This was only for a small section but this is not good)

Having the workout app running as well meant the watch was constantly taking my heart rate about 12 times a minute but sometimes this would drop to about 6-8 times ( I assume this was because I was wearing the milanese loop and not a sports band and the connection was not as snug as it should have been on the bumpy sections) but I thought it was totally adequate for my ride.

The heart rate data does not currently get imported to strava through health kit and health kits analysis and graph data for Heart rate over time is terrible.

Both Strava and the workout app logged the same distance cycled of 37.7 miles, the calories burned was 1342 for strava guessing without HRM and 1463 for the workout app, so pretty close! I'm not sure what different algorithms each use and if either account resting calories into that.

Overall pretty impressed but would rather control it all from strava and import into the workouts app via health kit if it were at all possible

EDIT: Just thought I'd mention that strava syncing with health kit is atrocious at best I spend ages refreshing my feed trying to get it to push workouts. Reinstalling the app helped a bit but the problem just reoccurs for new rides. Hopefully they sort this out I don't have problems with other apps

Hi there, glad to see a fellow cyclist on here and someone who understands the disappointment with strava's healthkit syncing. In the recent 4.4.4 iPhone app update, they said they fixed health app data pairing. But it didn't. I'm seeing the same problem on all the forums.

Have you found a way to use ONLY your iPhone + Apple Watch, and get the heart-rate data synced to your ride? I toggled all the settings off and on, and did a NEW ride today with apple watch "cycle activity" running (to get the 5 second HR intervals), and strava recording as well. I stopped and saved the watch "activity" first, then a couple minutes later saved the Strava activity with all toggles ON for "Health App Syncing". NOTHING got synced, even though there was like 200 separate heart rate items in my health app.

So freaking annoying. I love my apple watch SO much but it's absolutely insane I can't use the damned HR monitor with WORKOUTS. Like, what the heck are you trying to prevent on this Apple? You have an entire "Sport" line dedicated to workouts, yet we can't even use the most popular exercise app in the world with our HR data. Someone spray me with the fire hose and calm me down.

:mad::mad::(:(:confused::confused::apple::apple:

----------

Watch aside I have been trying to get Strava to reliably send ride data to Health without much luck. I would use my Garmin Edge, Strava would pickup the data and show it in the app no trouble but never send it to Health. Hope this all gets better in the future.

How did you get it to send the health app data to your new ride? I did a few rides this weekend (long time user, premium and all that jazz), using just my iphone and watch, with my watch running a regular "cycling activity" at the same time to get more frequent HR updates. Nothing with HR was sent over when done. I was sure to save the watch activity first, THEN save the strava ride. I've toggled all the settings, I've made sure the apps are able to share together, and I'm currently reinstalling the app. I pressed "keep old health app data from Strava" when deleting the app, so please correct me if I delete that stuff. Just don't want to lose 2 years of data on accident.

Driving me crazy! You can see my other post above too. This is probably the 5th or 6th time I've reached out on a forum for help regarding this, reddit, this forum, others. Halp!;);)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.